enough is enough! internet connection problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bobscliff, Dec 27, 2006.

1. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

Okay, so i live in the suburbs near Princeton, and lately my internet connection has slowed to an unbelievable speed. I have to reload or reclick constantly or nothing will ever load. Airport connection is fine, and I can't imagine that my neighbors are piggybacking on my network (i only have two and they're nice and tech savvy people) I subscribe to comcast and this internet slowing thing occurs every 1 1/2 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help?

EDIT: i posted twice accidentally because my internet is so slow so post on above thread

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Have you tried power cycling your network devices? Unplug the cable modem and AirPort. Wait like 10 seconds and then plug in the cable modem and wait for the lights to come back up to normal. This may take a few seconds. Then plug in the AirPort and wait for it to do its thing. Now test the connection.*

3. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

is your modem plugged in the right phone plug?
    Otherwise check if your ISP is on this list: BAD ISPS. You might have an upload/download limit set by your isp to avoid filesharing. This might be a little far fetched but it's the best I can do.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Comcast is cable internet so there's no phone line involved. Just a coaxial cable.*

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Does your wireless have WPA security? If you have an Airport it will. It's probably worth enabling to see if that solves the problem.

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

For giggles, have you tried by passing the AirPort and just going wired? This would eliminate whether or not its an AirPort problem possibly.*

7. bobscliff thread starter macrumors regular

bobscliff

I tried that and it's seemed to work so far. Thanks for the advice everyone!

8. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

When my internet slows to a halt and i'm connected to my router, I just restart it, it works nearly all the time. :)