Enough RAM for PowerBook????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by denm316, May 18, 2004.

1. denm316 macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone,

I just ordered a new Rev C. 12inch PowerBook G4, and am curious about the RAM situation. I am going to order RAM from a 3rd Party site but am debating which chip to get, either the 512MB or the 1GB, heres what I am looking to do.

-Currently use iMovie but want to begin getting more
    advnaced with Final Cut Express 2.0.
    -Looking to begin light DVD Studio Pro work, just to learn
    when I am bored.
    -Some simple re-mixing using Garage Band, and basic song
    creation.

Just curious if anyone is doing all these things with 768MB and how efficient it is or do I really need to buy the much more expensive 1GB chip.

Thanks for all the Help,
    -Dennis

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think you could get by with 768MB total, but 1.25GB would make a big difference with the kind of work you describe. If you can afford the 1GB DIMM, go for it! As always, as much RAM as you can afford!

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I agree. I am going to be using Final Cut Express with on my 12" Rev. B PowerBook, so I've decided to go with the 1GB stick. From what I hear, OS X loves RAM, and in my eyes, too fast is never an option. You may also consider getting an external 7200 RPM Hard Drive. I got a 200 GB Seagate drive and it works great.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Get as much memory as you can. I just got my 12 inch 1.33 GHz PB in the mail yesterday and I'm already really bummed out with the memory usage. I'm coming from my last powerbook (667 DVI) with a gig of ram and this is torture. I'm going to get a gig module for this thing as soon as I can afford one.

BEN

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

1GB sticks are so over priced. I'd get 2 sticks of 512MB then sell the original 256MB stick.

6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

You can't. The first 256 stick is soldered to the logic board or something - it can't be removed. Otherwise, this would be a much more cost effective option. Too bad... :rolleyes:

JOD8FY

7. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

768MB of ram should be more than enough for you.