Enough With The Atkins Diet!

Discussion in 'Community' started by womencantsail, Mar 6, 2004.

1. womencantsail macrumors member

I can't express how thoroughly pissed off I am with the Atkins diet. You can't watch TV without there being commercials for something related to it, you can't go outside without hearing about it, the damn thing is everywhere.

I got no problem with eating more protein. Heck, I love to eat dead animals, but this is getting out of hand. How about instead of cutting carbs from your diet, you cut laziness from your diet. There is this thing called exercise, try it out. Maybe you can lose some weight that way. And if you exercise a lot, and still don't lose weight, either you're not going to, or you need to stop shoving food in your face.

Just in case I happen to meet you someday, don't talk about this "diet" in front of me. I'm liable to smack you one.

2. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

bah.
    the atkins diet is just another fad that will be exposed soon enough. all the atkins diet does is reduce water weight. it doesn't necessarily make you healthier. in fact, it dehydrates the bejesus out of you.

any nutritionist or personal trainer will tell you there is ONE way to lose weight and stay healthy: burn more calories than you consume.

3. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Yes! My GOD finally someone brave enough and stupid enough to stand up to Atkins regime that inslaves us all. Yes, I too hate Atkins and everything it stands for, greed, communism, and The New HIGH protein LOW CARB wraps at Subway.

4. womencantsail thread starter macrumors member

YES! I have found some fellow believers (or are we non-believers?). Anyways, I hope you are right trebblekicked. I don't want to live the rest of my life in an "Atkins Diet World".

I think from now on, I will carry around bread with me, and anyone who speaks of the Atkins diet will have that bread punched down his/her throat.

5. whawho macrumors regular

I'm on the atkins diet

Usually I won't jump in on a conversation like this because I don't care... But I am not lazy .... I was an athelete in High School and still am... Well sort of, I don't know if you'd call a disc golfer an athlete but I wanted to lose weight so I figured I try atkins and to this date I've lost 20lbs in 2 months..(not water weight) and the diet is good for me, it really works unlike other things I've tried... different strokes for different folks, I guess...

6. darkblue macrumors newbie

Over here in Sydney, Australia today's paper talks of a local celebrity (who is by no means fat) undergoing surgery to put one of those gastic bands around their stomach so they could lose that extra five kilos. :eek:

It's terrible to think that people would go to such extreme lengths to lose that little bit of extra flab, especially in the case of a celebrity who would get media attention and the like, influencing all those other frustrated dieters to become lazy and opt for the surgery.

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am skeptical about the atkin's diet and its long term health consequences

and i wonder how long a person can keep their weight off once they reach their goal weight

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

For a long time, my dad's job involved either manual labor (building trailers) or a lot of walking (security guard) and was in very good shape. When he took up work as a real estate agent three and a half years ago, he added about twenty pounds to his weight because he no longer got physical exertion as a part of his job, and had no time to exercise regularly. So he gave the Atkins diet a try and he's back to his fighting weight and much healthier for it.

I wouldn't recommend Atkins as a first resort. I'd place it somewhere ahead of gastric-bypass surgery and way behind eating less and exercising more.

9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Including your favorite macintosh rumor site. Way to ruin it man. ;)

America doesn't care about long term health consequences.. that's what got us into this fat mess to begin with. If I introduced an All Mercury diet, that worked, American's would sign up so fast...

10. crackpip macrumors regular

The thing about atkins is that meats have a much lower calorie density. As an example you can eat like 6 strips of bacon and consume a similar number of calories as one slice of the multi-grain type breads. If you go with something leaner like turkey, a whole pound of meat is around 500 calories, which is about the same as a supersize fries from McDonalds. Add a big mac and you've doubled the calories in a full pound of turkey. I know that they say the type of calorie are important, and they are burned by your body in different ways, but I don't believe that is the primary reason people lose weight.

My feeling is that Atkins is a way for people to cut calories without having to decrease the amount of food that they eat. Hmmm... hard on the liver? kidneys? heart? bah who cares, I can eat as much steak as I want.

People need to understand that if they want to lose weight they need to make a lifestyle change. Most people are just unwilling to spend the effort to make the change.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

My dad is on it, and while I think it's good for him to lose weight, I also question the longterm effects of it. I don't see anyone keeping on the diet for the rest of their lives, so what happens after the weight goal is reached?

12. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Hell. I dropped all forms of Pop and fast food (With the exception of Subway's chicken subs or vegi subs for dinner.) and I've lost 10 pounds in the last couple months. You don't have to go overboard. Just eat sensibly. Still, I need to lose another 20lbs before I'm happy. I've sort of leveled off on my weight right now. I guess its back to eating oatmeal for another few weeks and see where I'm at. If nothing else I need to lower my cholesterol level and I've heard oatmeal is good at doing that.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of funny when not too long ago when the wraps were in fashion they health nazis were saying how bad they were for you because of the high calories and fat.

But now they're remixed and have the Atkins stamp on them.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Calories calories calories.

It's the only line item that matters in our diets.

If they would just redo the NF label to make the calorie count very large and very bold in comparison to the rest of the items we'd have a better shot at not being fat.

People worry too much about fat, sat. fat, carbs, blah blah blah. Calories are calories! It doesn't matter where they come from, they have to be burned or they turn to fat!

It's a lot simpler than we want it to be. But if it's made out to be complex we can act perplexed when we end up overweight and place the blame somewhere else.

15. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

true as hell, but still...
    it's my understanding that carbohydrates are used by the body to hold onto and distribute water. by reducing the amount of carbohydrates in your body, you are eliminating not just weight from the carbs themselves, but the weight the carbs usually carried in water, hence the apparently large weight loss when compared to other diets. this, as i understand it (and i am by no means a dietician) dries people out, leaving atkins dieters in a relatively constant state of dehydration.

again, the easiest way to lose weight is simple math. take in 4000 calories a day? then burn 4250. voila. weight loss. a balanced diet on top of that makes you not just thinner, but healthier.

16. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Carbohydrates are an energy source. They are broken into two categories, simple (sugars) and complex (starches, fiber). When unused, (in other words, eat more than you can burn) it metabolizes into fat. So yeah, less portions is a good thing no matter if you are on Atkins or not.

The Atkins diet is (hopefully) only a temporary fix. Eat less of the carbs and fill up on protein (which are building blocks, not sources of much energy, which is why bodybuilders eat 100's of grams of it a day) until you have reached your target weight. ONCE that is reached, resume a balanced diet and decrease your overall portions.

So the Atkins diet is really fine, when done to drastically and quickly drop excess weight. If done for long periods of time though, the fat and cholesterol will catch up with you.

In my opinion, Atkins only works as a starting point to a healthier body. It isnt something that should be done just to shed a few pounds then quit. Nothing replaces a regular exercise regimen. (3 days a week is all you need, maybe an hour tops) And its fun and easy. I look forward to going to the gym. Lots of nice people to talk to, and you feel really good both physically and mentally.

17. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I was on it for about 2 1/2 months and lost 20 pounds. While I have gone off the diet, I have regained only 5. A good deal

Since I damaged a disk in my spine a few years ago, my ability to exercize has been limited. So diet is about the only way I can manage the weight.

Obviously, this diet has a place and many have had positive results. Would not want to get fanatical about it though.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I hate all the fad diets and BS pills. The success of the "diet industry" is just another example of how lazy so many Ameicans are. If you want to lose weight and keep it off eat a variety of foods in moderation and excercise. If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to change your eating and excercise habits for *life.* You can't go on some fad diet for 6 months, drop weight, then go back to your old eating habits and expect to keep the weight off. Your old habits are what made you put on weight in the first place!

Now there are exceptions to this, such ThomasJefferson who because of injury can't excercise as much any more. And for situations like that obviously a different approach might be needed. But for average people just eat in moderation and get some freakin' excercise!

Lethal

19. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I find it so ridiculous and unbelievable that healthy eating, sensible eating, and the whole concept of NUTRITION is no longer being promoted in way, shape or form. Instead all we hear about are these fad diets like Atkins, the quick fixes, that are basically all terrible for you. Doesn't Atkins actually tell you to avoid most fruits and veggies? That's insane! People don't want to have to make a real effort to lose weight, they don't want to cut their calories and - god forbid - actually be a little bit hungry from time to time. People gravitate toward those diets that let them eat as much as possible. Like that Weight Watchers Points diet... how ridiculous and wrong is it to judge what you eat, not based on how hungry you are, but on how many points you have left? All the people in my office were on that, and all you ever heard was, "I can have this much [fill in the blank with a food, usually of little or no nutritional value] for only 2 points!!"

It's true, most people on this thread have pointed out calories and exercise, and those two things are the ultimate keys to losing weight and always will be. Atkins is going to end up making a lot of people sick and unhealthy, and people are just going to continue getting bigger as long as these fad diets remain popular.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, if you are dieting you should feel hungry because you are eating less than you are used to. Eating until you feel full while dieting is a bad thing.

I think the weight watchers point system is an easy way to keep track of how many calories you can have in a day and how many you've had so far. Now, if you choose to "spend" your points on junk food that is your choice (although it's probably not the best idea).

Lethal

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Actually, the high protein, low carb diets have been around for ages. It is the diets that diabetics and hypoglycemics follow.

It is *NOT* loss of water :rolleyes: that is just silly. Both my parents have been very succesful on the Atkins diet. And someone here has attested to the same. Their cholesterol went down and their blood pressure went down, too.

Atkins requires a life style change, it is not a quick fix nor is it a diet one goes off of. If you read the book, you will see how one is to maintain their weight after having lost what they want.

Exercise is *also* an important part of the program. As is eating low fat proteins such as fish and skinless chicken (white meat).

And for the record, I'm getting tired of "low carb this" and "low carb that," too.

Here is a hint: Read the book before you judge. Try it before you judge. If you don't need to lose weight then continue on with what ever you are doing!

Part of the reason it has gained so much popularity is because Medical Doctor's are seeing their patients who are on it lose weight, keep it off, and have healthier exams (ie lowered blood pressure, lowered bad cholesterol levels).

22. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

It's all a question of motivation. People go on diets because they are too lazy to exercise, unless they are doing both. If you're gonna take the time to look all over the place for certain foods, you're wasting time that could be spent working out! Diet's aren't healthy, unless coupled with exercise. They are for lazy people. Period.

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Nothing like stereotyping :rolleyes:

24. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

No it wont. Tired of people saying this. As long as they simply use Atkins to shed excess weight, and then regain a normal balanced diet, they will be fine.

Its like saying people who exercise 7 days a week for 4 hours a day are going to end up sick and unhealthy. Yeah, if they do it for the rest of their life, sure. But to drop weight to escape being obese, then get back to a normal eating routine, Atkins is just fine.

And diets arent for lazy and fat people. Athletes are always on diets. I always watch what I eat, and Im not overweight. remember the word "diet" doesnt always mean "get skinny." It often means providing enough nutrition for performance. I dont know of one successful athlete or even casual fitness person who was able to get in good shape by exercise alone. Diet is very important. Its a 50/50 partnership, or even as much as 80/20 in others. (diet to exercise)

25. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i agree... senior in college, very active, lift 5 days a week, cardio 5 days a week... definitely havent lost a whole lot of weight, but its really helping me build much leaner muscle and stay a whole lot trimmer.... (is that a word?) i am a big fan of cutting carbs... i still think it all comes down to moderation