Enrolling with Applecare [

Discussion in 'macOS' started by keyshawn, Mar 12, 2006.

1. keyshawn macrumors member

Aug 23, 2005
    I decided to enroll the Applecare Protection Plan (I bought it with my ibook way back). When I was registering it on the apple website, a notice came up that said the security certificate belonged to 112.2o7.net , which I immediately found really suspcious.

I did a whois search using that domain which is owned by a company named 'Omniture.' After doing a search on Omniture on mr, i only found only thread mentioning it.

(which is involved with the itunes' mini store)

I've did a bit of searching on google, finding this - http://since1968.com/article/154/itunes-update-update

So, i decided to check out on apple.com I did a google search, restricting the results to apple.com and the term 'omniture.' The results brought only a job listings regarding omniture and a link to the king kong trailer.

So, I'm wondering a bit: Why does Apple outsource its management of the Applecare to a 3-party company like omniture ? That's a more hypothetical question, I suppose, probably since only Apple employees [or maybe some mac geeks like you :) know that answer].
    I'm willing to consent to give my personal information to a single company like Apple, but with other companies getting involved for no integral reason, it makes me pretty hesitant.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Omniture is nothing to do with Applecare. Omniture is a company which tracks customer usage of any given domain. It allows Apple to track where customers go on the site, how long they spend on it and where they drop out of the site. And it's more about tracking trends than individuals

They'll share the information with Apple but not with anyone else