Enter SIM PIN without restarting?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ikcikc, Mar 14, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2008
    I have my SIM PIN set - and when I switch on the phone - I get the screen that gives me 3 attempts to enter the PIN code to unlock my phone. All well and good... However - if I happen to switch on the phone and get distracted - and it goes into "sleep mode" - when I then slide the slider I no longer have the option to enter a PIN code available - I simply have "Locked SIM" in the top left corner. I can shut down the phone and start again - but its all a little bit annoying to have to do this once one has missed the short window of opportunity to enter the PIN (I have the phone set to sleep after 1 minute)...

Is there any menu option or any way to get to the PIN entry screen without restarting the phone? I would have thought that trying to make a call would do this - but no...

Any suggestions?

2. tjk
    macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2008
  3. macrumors member

Aug 18, 2006
    I have the same prob too. However by making a call it used to give u the option this was with firmware 1.1.1. This doesn't work anymore so I guess its a bug?
  4. tjk
    macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2008
    yep, tried many things. calling, writing sms, changing pin even... nothing brings the menu back in 1.1.4
  5. macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    Same problem. I thought that turning Airplane mode on and off would do it, but it doesn't work.

The only thing I have had work is popping the sim out and putting it back, or restarting.
  6. macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2008
    I just updated to 6.1 in my iPhone 5 and wasn't even prompted to enter my PIN. I looked around in the settings and tried to make a phone call but still no PIN prompt. I guess you still have to restart you iPhone to unlock your SIM.
  7. macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2012
    Settings - Phone - SIM-PIN

I had the other way around. Since the last update i haven't been promted to enter my SIM Pin, not even after a reboot, and have been able to make calls anyway. So my SIM Pin was useless before, even tried to deactivate and reactivate with no effect.

After the 6.1 update however, I was promted to enter the pin again, so I thought it was a bug they had fixed with 6.1.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2008
    I tried that but it didn't work; I only got the two grayed out options and no prompt.

However, I tried it now after restarting and it does work. I guess there was a bug right after upgrading which is why I wasn't prompted at the start or in the settings.