enter the cult or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toutbeau, Jan 14, 2007.

1. toutbeau macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    thinking of getting a mac. just cant decide.

weigh option one and two for me:

1. The PC route: Dell 24" Monitor (works with xbx360,ps3) @£600
    Laptop c2duo (eg sony) @£900
    Desktop (C2duo, 7950 gfx,2gb ram etc) @800

2. Apple way: Macbook pro 15" 2.33 c2duo @1700
    Apple cinema @ 700ish

Both options are about the same price.

I had an ipod and i liked listening to audio books. thats how i came to think that maybe apple products are good. (it got stolen last month)

I manage a couple small businesses. use mainly office programs but sometimes i am encoding movies and publisher.

Like to play some console games now and again.

35 years old if that helps

what shall i do ?
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    well the logical answer would be to go with your needs. What suits you more, the totally-Windows environment, or can you be flexible with operating systems? be aware that you can run Windows on an Intel-based Mac now.

The answer you will probably get from here is Get The Mac! :)
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I've heard bad things about the Dell 24" because it apparently still has a 6 bit panel, unlike the 20" and 30" models, although this claim might need further researching. Using the 20" widescreen model here at home at the mo.

If you can wait for 2-3 months, the picture may become clearer on the monitor front from Apple and also the release date of Leopard.

If you're fond of using Publisher, then you'll have to run Windows via Bootcamp or Parallels on your MBP as there is no Mac version of that application. This means additional expenditure...
  4. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    I say get the mac with the Dell display...
    Put windows on your mac if you need it.
    All your needs are then sorted.

Remember that if you have a kid/relative in school, get them to use their student discount for you, you may be able to get your MBP cheaper than that sony you're looking at.

Good luck!

For only one app, the better/cheaper solution is Codeweavers, semi-seamless integration into OSX
  5. kinkyleo macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2006

I'm 38 & until 14 months ago I would not entertain the idea of having a computer - partially due to having used PCs in previous jobs! I had always thought of computers as being inaccessible,hard to navigate & unfriendly to use.

Then I was introduced to the Mac & lo & behold I had to have one!

I have an iMac (green & cute) & boy has it changed my opinion of computers.

In 14 months I have gone from being a complete technophobe to being a Mac geek - it is so easy & friendly to use & importantly for a novice it is totally virus free. The only cockups have been due to a phase of "tidying up" the Finder files & losing data - oops! ( This is when I realised the neccessity of back up discs!)

Compare this to my dad's experience - he has a PC. Which is a constant source of frustration to him as it will keep picking up viruses & is user unfriendly to say the least! Most of the time it is out of use due to yet another virus.

Conclusion - get a Mac !
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Incidentally, there's no requirement to shave your head, start chanting and drink of the Apple Kool-aid if you buy a Mac. ;) We're not all raving cult members
  7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    Do you really need to ask? :confused:

You won't find too many people on this site who will recommend PC's over Mac's.
    Most of us have been there, got the t-shirt and pulled our hair out before moving to Mac's and peace and harmony. :)

FJ :)
  8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    Though electrodes will be applied to virtual procreational tools if you say anything negative about Macs, Apple, the 'Steve-God', or me. ;)
  9. FDX macrumors regular

Dec 2, 2006
    I like Pages for the newsletter I put together for work, but I belong to that Mac cult.:D
  10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    I have been called a "cult" ......... or I think that's what was said !!!! :eek:

11. arkitect macrumors 601

Sep 5, 2005
    Bath, United Kingdom
    Not wanting to be a Dell apologist, but the Dell 24" 2407WFP does use a 8-bit panel. The "rumour" arose when a mis-informed Dell rep published the wrong info on a Dell forum… dunno if it did his career much good though! :rolleyes: and the rumour spread like wildfire :p Utilises the same panel as the Samsung LTM240M2.

I just bought a Mac Pro and went with a Dell 24"… It took a lot of convincing for me to get a Dell… but I couldn't argue against the extra £££ I got to spend on RAM and Hard drives…
  12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Just to expand on that, I did find banding on one of my 2407WFP's but it is apparently more of an electronics issue than a panel issue. You can get it exchanged if you ever come across such a situation.

As for joining the cult... well, like any group you've got to join before you know you like it. The Macbook Pro + ACD is a good way to get started in Mac.

I've ended up being less than bowled over since I'm not in print design, I know what I'm doing, I'm more focused on results than the eye candy and I like reliable, well-supported business hardware - things that Apple don't fulfil as far as I'm concerned. But I wouldn't have known if I hadn't bought a bunch of Apple gear and tried it all out for myself - unlike many here who disparage 'the other side' without having any concrete experience with it. I've now half-committed to Apple for home use and potentially for limited scientific computing use and it works for me.

I say give it a try. I couldn't help but be impressed with it at first and it should go the distance for you if your needs aren't as demanding as mine are.
  13. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

Oct 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    What :eek:
    How come nobody told me that when I switched a few years ago, or is this only since Apple switched to Apple Inc. :confused:

Well either way, I want my hair back and I will stop chanting at once,
    but the Apple Kool-Aid I'll keep drinking because it's oh so good. :D

Oh yes for the original poster, buy the Mac Book Pro and The Dell Monitor since you can always run your Windows stuff through Boot camp or with Parallels.
  14. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    Yes, but not only because this is a Mac site. If you were totally happy with Dell you wouldn't be here. At the very least you are curious. Since Macs run Windows there is really nothing to lose. As others point out, there are many arrangements by which you could make use of your existing monitor. Best wishes.