Entering the EFI menu on an Intel based iMac

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 18, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

um.. at your own risk I suppose. :)

arn

3. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Looks interesting but, yes I suppose you can mess up your machine pretty bad if you mess up. :p

4. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

And thus begins the tinkering to get XP/Vista on the Mac. MY original 1 week estimate may have been a bit premature. Lets shoot for 2 months. By Saturday March 18th maybe? :cool:

5. macrumors 68000

RichP

Hell, our powermacintelbooktops ship by Feb 15! Come on, figure this out someone!

I do feel like we are getting closer...although I honestly thought this was going to be very easy to do a dual boot install, or at least have windows running, then some time before we see a VPC-like application.

6. macrumors member

Well, you don't have to wait too long. Check this from http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/17/wintel.2.0.for.mactels/

Tuesday, January 17th - OpenOSX ships WinTel 2.0 for Mactels:
    OpenOSX today began shipping its WinTel 2.0 emulator software with Universal binaries, bringing nearly native emulated x86 performance to Apple's new Intel-based Macs and allowing Mac users to run Microsoft Windows with increased speed. WinTel is designed to be an easy-to-use solution for configuring and utilizing the open-source Bochs software, which allows x86- or Pentium-based operating systems to run on Macintosh computers. OpenOSX WinTel includes 10 ready-to-use disk images of open-source x86-based operating systems which FreeBSD, Red Hat, Linux, FreeDOS and others. WinTel 2.0 has been successfully tested running Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, and Windows XP Professional. Wintel 2.0 requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later and is available for $25 via download, while upgrades from previous versions are priced at $15.

Also, if you scroll to the user comments, the person on Comment 5 is actually installing XP on his new Intel iMac. That's pretty fast. Remember that it took Microsoft almost a year to get VPC working with a G5. Here the open source community already has a working solution!

7. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Reports on Digg.com weren't too happy about it, people sent the company money and got nothing, I don't think this should be trusted. It's probably a gimmick.

8. macrumors 6502a

nylon

You mean a scam. Yeah it is. Check out the reviews on Versiontracker.com.

9. macrumors 65816

jholzner

I read a post somewhere earlier today that some used it and got Windows installed but it was no where NEAR native speed. If I can find that post I'll be back.

10. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah haha, looks like I was right. For those of you who are interested just wait until someone has some time to play around with the machines, eventually they'll be a solution that's free. It's only a matter of time, just give it a month or so :D