Enthusiasm for Folding is way down!!!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by elensil, Feb 16, 2007.

1. elensil macrumors regular

I had recently dedicated all my work computers to Folding@Home and quickly risen to upper 300 rank on the Macrumors Team.
    I had discovered that most people in upper 300 haven't folded any units in past 50 days at all. Seems like people had abandoned the cause about a year ago...

Anyone cares to comment?

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

There's not a good x86 Mac client available at the moment is there? It expired Feb 1st.

I'm going to get into it once they figure out their client.

3. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

The intel client locks my computer up sometimes. Then I tried it again 5 days ago worked for a couple days then locked it up again today. They refuse to help me...:(

6. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I'm still folding (albeit slowly) with my trusty G4 :)

7. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

Your record is safe :) >> 4JNA

I am not able to compete with your 34 processors:)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I started folding for this team in 2002 and I don't have the most points since I started back when the points weren't very high, but my machines have done quite a few work units over the years.

Most people seem to want instant gratification.

9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Folding - it uses your spare processing power to do calculations that could benefit cures for diseases...

11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

where/how can I help?

EDIT: I am so silly, checked fourm.

12. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I joined!!!! I couldnt get the terminal version to work, not that I tried hard, but it was frusterating and the directions seemed outdated for the console version so I downloaded the GUI and joined the MR team. WOOT WOOT. You guys should get the word out to more people, I had heard of things like this but never knew we did it and that it was a simple process to do.

13. helomech macrumors newbie

helomech

Personaly, I'm giving most of my extra clock cycles to distributed.net, and have been for years. Most cycles go towards the RC5 project. So far as I know it's the only distributed project where you can win something, however slight the odds, but at least it's something to shoot for. I figure the potential winnings could finance my next Mac. Anyway the odds are better than powerball.:rolleyes:

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Isn't RC5 about generating keys to hack? Yeah, that sounds like a worthy cause.

15. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I try to keep up as much as I can, but I also go through periods of trying to save electricity. I started a couple years ago with my G4, then stopped after a few months, then I ran Folding on both processors of my G5 for 5-6 months last year, then stopped around Christmas, now I'm back at it on my G5 as of last week. I certainly haven't given up the cause, I just keep having spurts of thriftiness. ;)

Luckily I have passed into the top 300 though, so go me!

16. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

My G4 iMac folds (slowly). Been doing it for quite a while but haven't clocked up many WUs. The G4 is going soon so I won't be folding until a decent intel client arrives for use on my MacBook

17. BigPrince macrumors 68020

How long does it take to get credit for a work unit?

18. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

You 'll get it when you have finished one and then it could take at most a day before getting credit. Mostly within three hours when you have send it in.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My enthusiasm is definitely down. I was up to 76 % on a work unit and it ended abnormally, so the client downloaded a new work unit and that one was just over 50 % and did exactly the same thing.

Lots of wasted time, that.

As of Friday, I've had 3. The latest stopped at 14 %. That's enough. I think it's time to rest the machine for a while.

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

There do seem to be a few new folks hitting the Top 20 on the team lately, though.
    I can't wait for the PS3 client so I can see how it performs. Watch out, Top 20!:p

21. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

I lost most of the machines from a lab that a friend was contributing to my account with. He changed jobs internally at the company and the machines were redeployed.

So it's just back to me and a dual G5 chugging away. I managed to make it all the way up to 9th all time for a brief period and spent nearly two years in the top twenty active folders. Generally in the top 12, but did spike as high as number 2 active a few times. I'm at 11th all time right now, but that won't last much longer.

My interest in things is way down, but more so due to the decrease in power. It's more fun anyways when you are shooting up the ranks. Once you get to the top and overtakes slow down, it definitely becomes less entertaining. Especially when all the young bucks underneath you are catching up. Just ask Dreadnought! ;)

Interesting to see the number of folders/posters in this thread with join dates of summer '02.

22. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Heee, why does everyone needs to make these comments about me?!?! It's indeed less fun when you don't rise as fast anymore, but then you know that you have to buy a new computer, or to put the new core 2 duo's at work folding 24/7 :D So I'm back folding 24/7 at work and doing a bit of folding when my dual G5 is on or with my PB. Maybe I'll install it on a couple more computers at work, it's nice to rise among the common people :p

23. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Because you've inspired so many of us to join. If not for you and your signature the team would have at least 828,032 fewer points, because I never would have signed up.

You should look at comments like mine as a badge of honor! We tease the ones we love…

24. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

my old lab still has a few computers contributing. i am nervous about installing on the computers at my current place because they are quite old and ppl need all the CPU cycles they can get. in the future i will upgrade to some core2 minis if they ever come out. i would love to hack into the library computers at the university but it more trouble than its worth both in time and potential trouble

glad to see some new super-folders stepping up like 4jna and ppl continuing folding who dont have many resources

25. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Ya, i lost a work unit for some reason and it was almost done, but the next one work correctly.