Entire Beatles' catalogue would begin to become freely avai...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 26, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

crenz

I hope they won't be successful in extending the copyright timeframe. While I think that the rights of the composer and performer should be protected during their lifetime, copyright extensions usually benefit publishing companies, not the artists. I also don't see why the author's heirs should still continue to profit for a long time.

Copyright also implies an obligation to the society: Content must be made free after a certain timespan, so that society can benefit from it. Lots of good books, music etc. disappear from our society or collect dust in moldy archives because they can't be distributed.

3. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Of course the works still have value years later. If they didn't have residual value, copyrights wouldn't have expiration dates because nobody would care.

4. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

i'm with you on the lifetime of the artist. i'd say it should be like a minimum of 50 years and/or the passing of the artist regardless of who owns the rights. not that this would ever happen, but it'd be nice to know as an artist that even though you may have been screwed for the rights of your music, at least you will take those rights to the grave with you.

5. macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

That's what it was in the USA

If I recall correctly, the copyright was for 50 years in the USA, until a lot of lobbying - with the requisite large cash donations into the politicians coffers - by the RIAA and MPAA resulted in the law being changed in order to appease the wealthy few at the expense of the majority.

So much for politicians looking out for the best interests of the people :(

6. macrumors 6502

Try Disney, the copyright tends to be lengthened every time Mickey Mouse gets close to running out. I read something earlier today that said while the director/writer/animators/voice actors etc,etc are still alive the copyright shouldnt lapse. Umm how many of those would be getting a share of earnings virtually none.

7. macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I think that you're right about Di$ney

You're right about Di$ney, with a little help from their friends, the RIAA and the MPAA.

The sad part is that when it actually comes to meeting their financial obligations to their artists in paying out royalties collected by them, Di$ney has the worst track record.

They took over two decades to pay out a measley one million dollars to Peggy Lee. And who knows how many others they have abused financially like that. This from a company that pays its CEO - Michael Eisner - over a hundred million dollars in cash, stocks bonuses etc.

Such absolute greed and lust for money is really sad :(