Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mach1andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Los Angeles
I flipped open my macbook (running 10.6.1) yesterday, went to sign in as a guest and i got the spinning pinwheel. It eventually went back to the login screen for both my username and the guest account. When I entered my username's password it took me to a "guest" looking account and all of my data was gone. The user->desktop folder showed 0Kb, iTunes, Safari, iPhoto are completely empty -- yet when i navigate to the folders under 'macintosh', I see all of the files (minus my entire desktop).

Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions? I tried giving her the old "APPLE + OPT + P + R" and took out the battery for a bit but to no avail. Completely puzzled & on vacation. Gnarly feeling.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
A lot of users are experiencing a crashing desktop. I'm not sure if this is what your problem is, but you might try relaunching Finder.

mach1andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Los Angeles
I wish it was just that... a crash. This appears to be a complete wipe of my desktop folder and all associated caches from my user account. Nobody else had this problem? I'm anomaly, playing Monopoly with a few less files?

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I guess I'm confused by what you mean by 'desktop folder'. My desktop folder is always completely empty because I don't keep files on my desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.