Entourage 2004 to Exchange

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Flummoxed. Nothing works. Have Exchange account, using said account happily with PC's. Try to connect and follow the assistant, but it says it can't find the account. When I try and configure the account manually it says bad password (and it isn't).

Is there a guide online I can follow?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The way I've got mine working (Exchange 2003 + Entourage 2004) is to use the external address of the mail server:

1. Entourage menu > Account Settings.
    2. Select Exchange account > Edit.
    3. Exchange Server = something like "https://www.yourdomainname.com/exchange". (LDAP Server is the same.)
    4. Account ID = your name ("johnd") and Domain = your domain ("yourdomainname.local").

This method works fine for me.

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hmmm... There's no FQDN for our exchange server. It just keeps on saying bad password. I've spent two hours on this which is kind of my patience threshold. All of the PC's connect fine.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, you might be able to use "https://servername/exchange" or "http://servername/exchange" in place of the FQDN.

I could never get just plain "servername" to work... don't know why.

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

That's what I've been trying. Doesnt work. Is there a guide for this because I want to know where it is going wrong rather than just blindly hunting around for answers.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I tried, at my dad's company, to get that bloody programme talking to an Exchange 2003 server, for weeks.

Let me tell you it's far easier using the programme that you may not think of immediately: Mail.app. It connects to MS Exchange servers far better than any other mac software I've seen.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Here's what works for me:

Find a MacOS 9 computer.
    Download and install Outlook 2001. This is a free download from Microsoft's website.
    Enter the Exchange server's primary URL. It will be something like msmail.mycompany.com.
    Outlook 2001 does a pretty good job of discovering the remainder of your required server URLs. In fact, it will rediscover them even if they change.
    Go through Outlook 2001 noting the addresses of each server.
    Transfer these addresses over to Entourage 2004.

8. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I didn't say the MacOS 9 Mac had to be yours. As an alternative, you might try the same thing with a Windows installation of Outlook.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

10. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

The full local domain name of the server. Tried that, no joy. IP address, etc etc.

It is better to get someone around to install the lights properly than light a candle. :p

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Is the exchange server configured for entourage? I believe there's extra stuff needs to be done in the server end - http://www.microsoft.com/mac/support.aspx?pid=exchange

Do you need the full exchange service or just mail? You could try imap in that case.

Are you using the correct domain (user, not server domain) in the account settings?

12. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I need full Exchange service. I'll have to check on the WebDAV. Thanks for the link.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is interesting that Microsoft does not list Apple's Mail/Address Book/iCal triumverate with Exchange 2000. Also, if IMAP satisfies your needs--and I realize that IMAP doesn't satisfy the OP--then virtually any email app will do.

14. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

WebDAV

I have Entourage working with Exchange on my MacBook Pro at my office. You can't connect through to the exchange server like Outlook on a PC, you have to use WebDAV to connect. You can use calendar, e-mail and global address (but can't search it) and can't set out-of-office messages- have to do that through a web browser. You also can't do public calendars, but you can share calendars.

Hope that helps

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This all depends on your firm's implementation. I too use Entourage 2004 with my firm's Exchange server. I am able to search (in a fashion) the global address book. Everyone at my firm--whether using Outlook or Entourage 2004--must use a web browser to access the system while out of the office. As for connecting through WebDAV, it is fairly transparent to the user. I just use the server URL in Entourage that appears in the settings for Outlook 2001.

Having said all that, every time I hear someone praise MacBU, I want to pick up something and throw it at them.

16. tfojunk@comcast macrumors newbie

Unknown error -5000

When trying to "open" an attachment in Entourage 2004 I get an unknown error -5000. I can save the document and then open it but cannot open it directly in Entourage. I have checked and repaired my permissions and my Entourage database. Any suggestions appreciated.

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you know anything about the attachment? Quite frankly, if the attachment is something that you need for your work, then drag it or save it to your favorite location and double-click on it.