Entourage 2004 Unknown Error (-4362) occurred

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cybergodd, Jan 23, 2007.

1. cybergodd macrumors newbie

cybergodd

Recently I deleted over 3000 pieces of mail that spanned over a couple of years. When I went to trash the deleted folder as I usually do a buch showed up invisible and refuse to delete and give me the annoying unknown error box. Any idea how to fix this... Also, is there a way to compact the user folder. It seems no matter how much mail I delete the folder only gets bigger. Lastly... Is there a way to start a new folder and keep all of my settings, rules, etc... When I just move them over to a new identity it all seems to start from scratch.

Thanks
    Cyber

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's trouble any time you try to delete a massive amount of data from any computer! You might try to highlight a few hundred at a time and delete them manually.

You can set a schedule for deleting mail under Tools > Schedules

3. cybergodd thread starter macrumors newbie

cybergodd

Thanks... But what can I do about it?

Cyber

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I believe Entourage compacts its folders automatically, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure what you are still asking. Can you delete one at a time? Can you delete a few at a time?

The schedule I set up usually does 400-600 at a time with no problem. You might set up a schedule that does a few a day over the next few days of use until its cleaned out to your liking.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

There's a database utility in the /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office folder that can be used to compress the database

6. cybergodd thread starter macrumors newbie

cybergodd

I have 3 files in my delete folder that I cannot touch without getting that error pop up. I can't select them, I can't delete them I cannot move them. I am asking if anyone knows how to deal with this.

Cyber

7. cybergodd thread starter macrumors newbie

cybergodd

Can you please get the name of this for me... I searched to no avail and came up empty handed.

Thanks

Cyber

8. cybergodd thread starter macrumors newbie

cybergodd

That was for positive 4362, my error is -4362... I went crazy combing the negative number and not seeing it until I realized they only had the positive. LOL I really do appreciate your help though. :) You have no idea how I was hoping this would solve my problem. Oh well... If you come across the negative solution... PLEAS PLEASE don't hesitate to post it. I am still in desperate need to fix this issue.

Thanks again...

Cyber

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I had a corrupt email from Cingular that I was able to put in the delete folder, but I still couldn't select it to permanently delete it. So, I selected one message above it, hit shift and selected one message below it so it selected all three together. I hit delete and it erased all three messages permanently.

Try that!

10. cybergodd thread starter macrumors newbie

cybergodd

Sorry to say it didn't work. :(

cyber

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Well, phooey! I'm out of suggestions. :confused:

12. claidheamdanns macrumors newbie

claidheamdanns

Possible Solution

Okay, I don't have a file to test this on, but I may have a possible solution.

Try marking the the file as junk, by clicking on it, and then clicking the junk mail icon at the top of the window.

This should automatically move it to your junk folder, from which folder you should then be able to delete it.