Entourage ate all my mail!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spider, Jul 29, 2005.

1. spider macrumors newbie

So I decided to give Entourage 2004 a shot, set up my pop3 account info, and as I clicked on send and receive mail I just knew that all my messages would be gone from the server next time I logged in to through my webmail. Sure enough, my webmail shows a completely empty acccount. I'm sure there's a way to keep a copy on the server, but oops! Where is that setting?

Anyways, the priority at this point is to get my mail back on the server, then I'll decide if I want to even use Entourage. Any way to do this other than forwarding everything back to myself? As you can see, the problem would be that all of those messages would be from me....to me! Would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Oh, the webmail I use is squirrelmail if that makes any difference.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My advice to you is to stick with Mail. Entourage 2004 does things that cannot be undone whether you want them or not. And it does them without your knowledge. But if you want to use it, be warned that it defaults to downloading mail from your server. To change this, go to Entourage > Account Settings.... Select your account. Click the Edit icon. Then, click the Options tab. Under Server Options, check the second checkbox.

3. spider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply MisterMe,

I guess I missed that option even though I knew that it had to be there somewhere. Oh well. Just have a lot of friends who use Entourage and wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Actually I prefer having my email on my server for when I go out of town. So if anybody has any suggestions as to getting my mail out of Entourage and back on my server, your help is greatly appreciated.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Having your friends run Entourage does not affect you in any way. Your are using a POP3 account. Those are the same whether you are using Mail, Entourage, Eudora, Thunderbird, or whatever. My personal experience with the program shows me that I cannot trust Entourage. If your messages are important to you, then I strongly advise you to use something other than Entourage.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There's no effective way to replace the mail onto your ISP unless you simply mail it to yourself from Entourage.

If you want to move mail from Entourage to another mail program on your Mac, Google for a program called OEExporter.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTFLMAO, the title of this thread is funny.

All is not lost, as you can use another program to retrieve the mail again, as CanadaRAM has suggested.

Take care and all the best. :)

7. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Now really, what'd you expect? It's a Microsoft program, after all :rolleyes: Just stick to Mail.app or try Thunderbird.

8. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i was just thinking about switching to entourage this morning actually..

mail.app is just so..small scale. it's like a mini-app.

of course, then i realised that I *have* to use mail.app if i want spotlight searching..which is fantasmic btw :D

ah well, you win some, you lose some..

9. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

What do you mean small scale? I manage thousands of emails all the time with it and it feels plenty substantial to me. In fact I found Entourage to feel rather shoddy compared to Mail.app's sturdiness.

10. spider thread starter macrumors newbie

Yuck, Entourage makes no sense. asif786, I would think twice before switching from mail. I've never had any problems with any app since I got tiger but Entourage stops working every 5 minutes or so and some M$ send error report dialog shows up......don't know if this makes any sense, but you can't do anything because the send error thing freezes as well! :eek: Thanks for all the suggestions by the way, highly appreciated.

So I got all my messages into mail which I have used in the past. I thought about forwarding all my messages back to myself, but that doesn't make much sense as I wouldn't know who the message came from originally. Well, I guess this is a good oppportunity to clean up my inbox, and the messages I want to have on my server again I can redirect to myself, and that keeps the original sender's name. By the way, anybody know what Move to "POP Account" again, under the message menu does? POP account is what I called this account btw.

11. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I mean the editing options. I love mail.app because of the integration with address book, spotlight etc..

i know entourage is bloatware, but I used to use it very much, and some of the features it has are cool.

i manage thousands of emails too, and i'm not saying it's badly written..but they should really add some new features every now and again instead of just making it look prettier (btw, i am aware that mail 2.0 looks cool..i love the design..but mail 1.0 was tragic..)

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to switch from a mail program that works in favor of one that is bloated, obscure, and doesn't work, then feel free to do so.