Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2002
UK
I just loaded Virex 7.2 which came with my .Mac membership CD.I ran "Scan & Clean" for the first time and now Entourage crashes during start up giving a kern protection failure message in the crash log. Nothing else has been messed with between installing Virex and opening Entourage.

I've repaired disk permissions and trashed entourage files in user/library/preferences folder (which I've since un-trashed). It's still crashing. Anyone had similar problems or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ajp said:
I just loaded Virex 7.2 which came with my .Mac membership CD.I ran "Scan & Clean" for the first time and now Entourage crashes during start up giving a kern protection failure message in the crash log. Nothing else has been messed with between installing Virex and opening Entourage.

I've repaired disk permissions and trashed entourage files in user/library/preferences folder (which I've since un-trashed). It's still crashing. Anyone had similar problems or have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Did Virex find anything? If it found a macro virus which it removed, that could have somehow corrupted Entourage. Try reinstalling Entourage. If that doesn't help, then try moving your Entourage user data to a location where Entourage won't find it (such as your Music folder), then try launching Entourage. If it doesn't crash now, your user data is corrupt. Look around in Entourage help for info on recovering corrupt user data.

ajp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2002
UK
wrldwzrd89!

Thanks...

I moved the user data to the music folder then started again with a clean version of Entourage, then moved old data back into user/documents. It all seems to be up and running again. Don't think I'll bother running Virex again!

Not sure what happened or how, but I'm glad to have my entourage address book back.

Thanks again.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
wrldwzrd89 said:
If it found a macro virus which it removed, that could have somehow corrupted Entourage.

So then what you're saying is that without the viruses Entourage will loose stability? That sounds very Microsoft. ;)

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Horrortaxi said:
So then what you're saying is that without the viruses Entourage will loose stability? That sounds very Microsoft. ;)

Verry funny!~ I was actually just going to reply to the title of the thread with the following:

"and this surprises you?" :D

Glad you got it figured out...at least sort of.

Johnny

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ajp said:
wrldwzrd89!

Thanks...

I moved the user data to the music folder then started again with a clean version of Entourage, then moved old data back into user/documents. It all seems to be up and running again. Don't think I'll bother running Virex again!

Not sure what happened or how, but I'm glad to have my entourage address book back.

Thanks again.
Here's the thing - I actually don't use Entourage, but I know someone that does - that's how I knew how to solve your problem.

ajp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2002
UK
It's doing it again........

Entourage is crashing again, the cause this time being the result of me emptying trash. Despite 2 clean "Office" re-loads, every time I go to check mail it "unexpectedly" quits. (Actually I'm expecting it every time now!). I can send mail ok. but as soon as it starts to recieve mail I get:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000

in the crash report log. (Permissions have been repaired)

That's it, I'm back with "Mail"! If anyone has any ideas though, I'd be grateful as this is bugging me purely because it's there.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ajp said:
It's doing it again........

Entourage is crashing again, the cause this time being the result of me emptying trash. Despite 2 clean "Office" re-loads, every time I go to check mail it "unexpectedly" quits. (Actually I'm expecting it every time now!). I can send mail ok. but as soon as it starts to recieve mail I get:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000

in the crash report log. (Permissions have been repaired)

That's it, I'm back with "Mail"! If anyone has any ideas though, I'd be grateful as this is bugging me purely because it's there.
My first suggestion is to check your Entourage version in About Entourage; if it isn't the latest (10.1.5), download and install the update (updates if you are using a version older than 10.1.4), then try again. I use Mail myself (along with Address Book and iCal), and am happy with all of them; you have my recommendation to "switch" to Mail/Address Book/iCal from Entourage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.