Entourage: Exporting emails out to something else

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I need to get the emails out (several gigabytes worth) from Entourage 2004 into a format that I can use elsewhere.

Does anyone have suggestions? As I said, there's several gigs worth so dragging stuff out isn't going to work.

I have a couple of Exchange Server/Clusters but the Mac has never been able to talk successfully to these - maybe the reason being that the servers aren't directly exposed to the Internet.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I really find it easiest to open a folder in Entourage, create a corresponding folder in Finder, drag the contents of the Entourage folder to the Finder, rinse and repeat. Otherwise, Export-Import Entourage may be what you're looking for. I haven't tried it though, so I don't necessarily condone it or know that it works. :)

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Just to provide some sort of closure to this thread and other related ones I might have done, I ended up upgrading my home Windows 2003 Server to Windows 2003 Small Business Server, which includes Exchange.

Although I can't open up my for-work Exchange Servers to Mac connections, I have no such qualms for my personal emails - which meant I could turn on all the services required for Mac connection.

This allowed me to easily copy all the data in Entourage to Exchange, where it now lives. It also means that finally, I can access my personal emails on any machine at home.

I really should have done this earlier but just didn't have the time to fiddle with the WS2003. I have no idea whether this might help anybody else who might end up contemplating the same thing, but this is the way I did it.