Entourage or Mail which is better?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nylon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I'm not sure which email prog. to use. Can people list why they prefer one over the other.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's really what is better to you. I like mail because that's all I use it for... Mail. At that it's even just to check my .mac account. Entourage has all the calendar stuff which I don't need at home. But I'm sure it can check my .mac account just the same.

3. lanray macrumors regular

If you want to get lots of info on this question do a search; there's probably 10 or more threads about this debate.

I started with Entourage, and it's fancy, cool, etc., but also really buggy. Got to where it would beachball quite a bit, then finally it wouldn't download my hotmail, which it had been doing just fine.

Switched over to gmail, and to the Mail app, and no more problems. I'm probably not using it to its fullest potential, but soon will start doing more in the way of scheduling, etc., with Mail, iCal, and Address Book. The three work fairly seamlessly.

Also has something to do with what kind of mail you have, and will the program support it. Good luck!

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Both work fine, depends on personal preference and/or whether you need the functionality Entourage has over Mail.

At work I have to integrate with our Exchange server infrastructure. Game over, it has to be Entourage, which I've used for a couple of years with no issues. I use the tasks, notes, calendar, and contacts in Entourage, and sync with my Palm via the Entourage conduit. All works well. Everything lives in one database file which is easy to backup. Also easy to restore as I appreciated when I did a fresh re-install of Tiger. Copy one file to the identity folder, start Entourage and you are back to exactly where you left it with all account settings intact.

At home I use Mail. Also works well.

My advice is to set up a new user account, try both for a week or two and see which works best for you.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

One of the things I like a lot about Mail is it's ability to be searched by Spotlight. Since Entourage keeps all messages in one huge database (I'm pretty sure that's right), it's not possible for Spotlight to search for individual messages.

6. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

I personally like MAIL better than Encourage. Why? Because you can save and download all attachments all at once and Encourage let you save one at a time which is waste of time! That's all it matter to me. It's simple and useful.

Go for mail. It's simple and easier and FABULOUS! :)

7. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

With the latest Office 2004 update, Spotlight now indexes Entourage emails as well.

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Not quite correct. You can highlight all the attachments in an Entourage message and save them. It will prompt you for a location for each file save, but it's hardly a problem to keep clicking 'Save'.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Wow! that's pretty cool! Thanks for that note! I hadn't realized that.