Entourage vs thunderbird

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trainguy77, Oct 29, 2005.

1. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

I have been thinking of switching. Is thunderbird any good? Mail.app is out of the question because i am on 10.3 What are your guys thoughts.:)

2. macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I use Entourage only because I use a combination of IMAP, POP and HTTP email accounts. As far as I know it is the only program that will let you do this. I like Thunderbird for its simplicity, but the integration of contacts, calendar and email in Entourage make it the app of choice for me.

3. macrumors 6502a

I haven't used those but I really like Opera's built-in mail. Very convenient.

4. macrumors 601

generik

I really recommend Thunderbird.. makes a future transition to Windows or Linux totally painless too.

Opensource projects are great, give them a go

5. macrumors 68020

dubbz

I use it as my standard e-mail client for both my Gmail (POP) and Fastmail (IMAP) account. I have no particular need for advanced calendar or contact functions, so it works fine enough for me.

6. macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I found Thunderbird to be rather slow, especially with a lot on email on an IMAP server. That was my biggest complaint. I stick with Mail as a result.

7. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sorry, maybe I missed something, why can't you just use Mail? Why will this not work for you in 10.3? :confused:

8. macrumors 601

generik

Opensource apps does have the added advantage that your data is always safe and accessible though..

Closed source solutions will essentially leave you out to dry when they go out of business, and support for that product ceases.

Anyway I kinda like Eudora on Windows, so how is it on the Mac?

9. macrumors demi-god

Nugget

I use Mail.app which is serviceable but kind of flaky. The Address Book integration is just too useful and for that reason alone I won't really consider migrating to Thunderbird.

I've been stuck by opensource projects which have died just as often as I've been stuck by closed source projects which have died. I don't think that's really a fair assessment of reality.

10. macrumors 68030

superbovine

the only two good reason to use entourage. the fact that it can work with hotmail and exchange right out of the box. although, if you need the calender, notes,etc from entourage those are handy.

11. Moderator emeritus

Thunderbird is quite good, but I've noticed it's become a bit slow lately in switching between accounts in the sidebar. I just installed the latest beta and it's speedy again.

12. macrumors 65816

radiantm3

The funny thing is I can't get entourage to work with our office's exchange for the life of me. Our support can't figure it out either. :eek:

13. macrumors G4

I agree with superbovine and you. Even at that, before my firm "upgraded" to Exchange 2003, Apple Mail actually worked better than Entourage on Exchange. Compared to my firm's earlier implementation of Exchange, its current Exchange 2003 implementation is at once less compatible with Entourage and totally incompatible with Mail.

14. macrumors 6502

nichos

Maybe try VPN?

15. macrumors 6502

nichos

Thunderbird can do IMAP and POP, and there's probably an extension for HTTP.

16. thread starter macrumors 68040

trainguy77

10.3 mail just does not have what i need out of a email app.:) Mail 2 for 10.4 is much better.

17. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification... ;) I use Mail in 10.3.9 and it suits all my needs, but hey, everyone is different, which is cool. :cool:

18. macrumors 68030

superbovine

i have to checkout what you said about entourage on exchange 2003 now...hmmm