Entry-level camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by question fear, Feb 19, 2007.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Hello all-

I am looking to buy a simple, entry level camcorder for purposes of documenting adventures with friends and general goofing off type films. I've recorded a few basic things with a digital camera and with the (really crappy) camera on my phone, and I would like to do something more substantial.

Mostly I will probably edit any videos in imovie, and probably youtube or burn them onto dvd for friends. Nothing too fancy.

What kind of camcorder should I be looking at? I'd like to spend less than 250 if possible. It looks to me like the range is 100-150 for those weird hybrid digital camera/camcorders from places like Aiptek, and then up around 200-250 for older dedicated dv camcorders...any suggestions or ideas on what to look for?

Thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Definitely stick with a Mini-DV camera that has a Firewire port (also known as i.link and IEEE-1394) , and stick to a name brand like Sony, Panasonic, Canon, JVC, or Samsung. Do not even consider a flash based camera, a camera with only a USB port, or the cheap Mustek and **tec brands.

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

I kind of figured as much...

What do you think of this one?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Check the review sites and the magazine sites for reviews.
    Decide whether low-light (indoor) performance is important for you.