Entry level mac upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Twonk, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Twonk macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2004
    yorkshire, engerland
    I was just considering buying a new single processor entry level 1.8 Ghz G5, if and when they are made available.

Do you think it would it be possible for me to add a second processor at some point in the future? Is this likely to be cost effective or should I just bite the bullet & go for dual power now?

I don't need the power, but I am keen on ensuring that my machine has a long & useful life.

Wadayathink? :confused:

<edit> Ah.. looks like I'll be gettin a dual machine then :D :D sweet! </edit>
  2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    You would have to buy a brand new board and stuff.

If you ever want dual 1.8, get it now.
  3. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    Don't do it.

Huh? The single 1.8 will not be made available (again). It was available last year. Perhaps a single 2 Ghz, but that's speculation.

You'd have to get used parts from a dual 1.8 GHz machine, since Apple doesn't sell parts. And then install them all by yourself. Hence, it will be expensive, complicated, and senseless.

Go for the dual 1.8 and you'll have a good computer for the next few years.
  4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Wait for updates... (any day now...) ;)

Get the dual system with the lowest clockspeed (you pay very much to get the top model's extra 2-400MHz)...

Put extra money in extra RAM (first) and bigger HardDrive (second)...

Enjoy your FANTASTIC new computer... :)

Edit: Updates are here! Get the dual 2.0 GHz IF you can afford it, it's has som advantages over the dual 1.8.