Entry level software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NTJetboater, Oct 19, 2006.

1. NTJetboater macrumors member

Hello People.
    I just picked up my first mac and am anxious to get editing video. What is a good program to start with. I have around 100 mini dv tapes to cut through for a project I am working on. I don't know if I am ready for FCP.

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

iMovie!?? Its free with your Mac! :) good starting point!

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

iMovie...? It's a part of iLife and comes free with all new Macs. Edit: Just like amiga said...

Or, maybe Final Cut Express, if you want to spend some money...?

4. lanray macrumors regular

iMovie

Go with iMovie for a few weeks before you buy anything. I have the offer of using a friend's machine with Final Cut Express, but iMovie does just about everything I need (except captions, even then you can "jimmy" titles to do a reasonable caption). iMovie coupled with iDVD is fairly comprehensive for the entry level videographer. Good luck!

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

iMovie is fun :)

Support at the Apple site is excellent for sorting out teething problems. Not that MR members wouldn't help, I hasten to add. But the Apple site is full of people with problems :( :D

6. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I'd go for iMovie, too, I am now using Final Cut Express for the keying features and such, after using Adobe Premiere and iMovie (after the switch) and iMovie is actually pretty good for editing. I do advise you to get enough RAM, and if you use an external HD, go for FireWire, and not USB (it's not only the transfer speed that makes the difference).

And save often, I have experienced several total crashes whilst doing stuff in iMovie

7. NTJetboater thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick responses.
    I have been editing on a PC for a few years, just new again to a mac.
    I should have enough ram to start, I went with a MP 2g ram, terrabyte of HD space, dual superdrives and 2 external HDs.

Will the mac recognize all of my avi files on my externnal that I captured with my pc????
    thanks again and I will have a ton of questions to come I am sure.:D
    Also how do I add an avatar

8. NTJetboater thread starter macrumors member

And here is a preview of some of my previous videos.
    I want to blow to these away, hence the mac pro!

9. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

avi won't be a problem, and an avatar takes you 500 posts.

Coincidentally, my previous post in this thread was my 500th.

Yay !! I got a tar

10. NTJetboater thread starter macrumors member

11. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Yikes. That looks dangerous. Those driver's point of views cameras make me cry like a little girl.

I'd suggest Final Cut Express. If you've been doing videos for years on your PC imovie will just frustrate you. FCE might be a little over your head at first, but you'll grow into it. You want to keep increasing your skills, right? imovie is not the answer for that.

12. NTJetboater thread starter macrumors member

Well I am into my first hour and why did I wait. I knew I needed the editing power. So the first thing I do is drop 95 clips @ 4.2gb into Imovie. Pretty cool. But I see I'll need FCE soon. There are not too many options in Imovie.

Where can I get wicked transitions..maybe an explosion from the clip or lightning strike?

13. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

there is lighting in iMovie and there is a disiningrate in iMove with the earthquake effect may do something for you...