Environmentally friendly packaging...LMAO

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kevinliu4, Sep 12, 2006.

1. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

Aug 8, 2006
    nice logic.

make the packaging smaller so it's more environmentally friendly.

...yet apple continues to release new ipods every year. what do they think is happening to the actual ipod itself which people are replacing? let's face it...with over 75% market share, the majority of new ipods being sold are going to existing ipod owners.

the obvious reason for the smaller packaging is to allow apple to fit more ipods on the shelves...more environmentally friendly...LMAO.
  2. Viking Quest macrumors member

Jun 28, 2006

Your life must be exhausting.
  3. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Feb 17, 2005
    I don't understand your point. It's not as if old iPods get thrown away. They just go to new homes. :confused:
  4. BWhaler macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003
    Funniest. Post. Ever.
  5. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    I don't understand your point yet. Is there a problem with new iPods coming out yearly?...
  6. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
  7. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    Well, smaller packaging means more iPods per pallet, lower shipping requirement, and hence lower emissions from transportation (and costs as a bonus for Apple).

There's also less material used.

I wouldn't call it environmentally friendly, but it's an improvement. Notice that the MacBook box is also much smaller than the old PowerBook one. iWork is in a small box, as is Tiger. Apple are moving towards using less packaging in general, which is a good thing for everyone.

And most people I know recycle electronics (either through selling, or if it's at the end of its life, through the usual recycling channels). In Ireland you actually pay a fee upfront when buying the product to cover the cost of recycling it at the end of its life.

Apple is not responsible for fools that dump it in a bin.
  8. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    Yep. Just because Apple profits from reducing packaging size, it doesn't mean that Apple isn't being [more] environmentally friendly. Positive extranality associated with cutting costs. For the OP: Why hate what makes everyone happy?
  9. n8236 macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2006
    In one of the recent issues of The Economist, it states that Apple is one of the most unfriendly if not the unfriendliest high tech hardware producers in the grp which included the likes of Sony, HP, Dell, Nokia, etc. Nokia topped w/ the best score. It's sad, but true.
  10. gog macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    Jobs' kitchen cupboard.
    But wait... apple is unintentionally an environmental do-gooder!

Just think of those hundreds of millions of little cds and their packaging that haven't been made now that apple is driving internet music purchasing. That is quite a number.

And now they're going to do the same thing with DVDs.

And because they are driving everything in this direction, the eventual cumulative effect will be much less waste. Not to mention less CO2 production from shipping all that stuff all over the world, and not having to drive to the movie store to rent movies.

Surely that is worth something, even if a few ipods do get thrown out here & there.
  11. ehayut macrumors member

Jun 29, 2005
    Agreed. I support the online music business model specifically for this reason.
  12. MattDell macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2006
    London, UK
    Yeah, I found his statement to be a bit of a stretch. But perhaps it has to do with the recent study where Apple was found to be one of the least environmentally friendly companies. I'm not sure if it was restricted to just computer companies, but Dell was high on the list.

I bet he just wanted to show that they're doing something about it. Even if it is small and doesn't need to be noted.

13. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    I dont think you understand the concept of marketshare