Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I thought about this, but I don't really know anyone else who owns a dslr that I know well enough to borrow lenses from. Unfortunately, I'm on my own for the time being. Your kit lens is just about what I have already for my 10D, except the EF-S model (which I believe makes it lighter in the end?).

Regardless of lens, I take it you like your 60D? Do you have any issues with it or regrets over the D7000? (if you've shot one)

I'm very happy with the 60D so far. I haven't had any issues with it, but it is my first DSLR, too. I have no first-hand experience with a D7000 to compare it directly.

I really like the flip-out screen. It is much easier to frame a shot with it when the camera is on a tripod. Most of the time the camera is at an odd angle that makes it difficult to use the viewfinder. I love that I can angle the LCD for easy viewing no matter what direction the camera is pointing. I know people say go for lenses over body, but this is the one feature I knew I had to have on whatever body I ended up with.

I also like that I can mostly control the camera all with my right hand that holds the camera since my left is usually steadying the lens. Switching around the manual settings is pretty easy with the two wheels on the right side of the 60D. I don't change the camera mode knob often enough to be concerned with having free hands to do it. Ergonomics are important, so if you like the D7000's control layout better, then there's nothing wrong with picking that.

The one thing that I would caution you about the D7000 is the buffer size is smaller than the 60D. If you're shooting in high speed mode, you're not going to be able to get as many frames in before you fill the buffer as you are with the 60D. The D7000 is little faster with the frames per second, but I think the number of frames you can get in a sequence is more important overall. This was the biggest complaint about the camera that I read in reviews.

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Why not rent a D7000 and a good lens like the 24-70 f2.8, and a middle of the road lens like the 12-24 f4 and see what you think?

http://www.lensrentals.com/for-nikon

I could do that, I was just wondering if anyone here had any suggestions, or if they felt the kit lens had that covered fairly well.

I'm very happy with the 60D so far. I haven't had any issues with it, but it is my first DSLR, too. I have no first-hand experience with a D7000 to compare it directly.

I really like the flip-out screen. It is much easier to frame a shot with it when the camera is on a tripod. Most of the time the camera is at an odd angle that makes it difficult to use the viewfinder. I love that I can angle the LCD for easy viewing no matter what direction the camera is pointing. I know people say go for lenses over body, but this is the one feature I knew I had to have on whatever body I ended up with.

I also like that I can mostly control the camera all with my right hand that holds the camera since my left is usually steadying the lens. Switching around the manual settings is pretty easy with the two wheels on the right side of the 60D. I don't change the camera mode knob often enough to be concerned with having free hands to do it. Ergonomics are important, so if you like the D7000's control layout better, then there's nothing wrong with picking that.

The one thing that I would caution you about the D7000 is the buffer size is smaller than the 60D. If you're shooting in high speed mode, you're not going to be able to get as many frames in before you fill the buffer as you are with the 60D. The D7000 is little faster with the frames per second, but I think the number of frames you can get in a sequence is more important overall. This was the biggest complaint about the camera that I read in reviews.

The only thing that worries me about the ergonomics of the 60D is that I'm a left-eye shooter, so I usually have the rear wheel covered (same problem on my 10D). The articulating screen was never a huge deal breaker to me, I think I would actually prefer the fixed screen for durability.

While the continuous shooting is an issue that I've read about on the D7000 (and the 60D having an incredible buffer), I don't use continuous shooting very much at all, so it never was something I really compared as much as durability and ISO performance. Thanks for the feedback!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.