Epocrates Essentials Now Available for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Epocrates [App Store] has released version 2.0 of their free clinical reference application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The update brings several enhancements to their free offerings and adds compatibility with Epocrates Essentials, their subscription-based premium content.

Epocrates Rx, the free component to the application, offers a drug and formulary reference that includes identification, dosing, side effect, reaction, pricing and insurance information, as well as a drug interaction database. It also includes MedMath, a collection of over 35 medical calculators.

Epocrates Essentials, now available as a one-year ($149) or two-year ($249) subscription, provides detailed, peer-reviewed disease information and treatment recommendations. It also provides information for interpretation of diagnostic and laboratory tests and data on over 600 alternative medicines.

Article Link: Epocrates Essentials Now Available for iPhone

2. macrumors member

JP3G

3. macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I do.

4. macrumors 68020

Diode

It's a good app. A lot of doctors I know use it ...

5. macrumors 6502a

I've been loving the free version. When I start my NP clinicals, I'll probably subscribe to the paid version.

6. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Most definitely. This is great news for those of us who use it/wish we had the $$$. Nice to have some serious professional productivity apps coming to the iPhone/touch platform.

7. macrumors newbie

It's incredibly newsworthy if you are in health care. I would be willing to bet that Epocrates is responsible for selling more iPhones than any other single 3rd party app.

And unlike the the games you'll play twice then delete or the app that makes farting noises or lets you pretend to drink beer, this one is actually useful.

8. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yup.

9. macrumors regular

bunit

Why yes I do!

10. macrumors 6502

X2...

I returned my windows mobile phone last year just seeing the Preview for Epocrates (When they demoed the UI on the iPhone). While you may look more professional with a Stylus in hand, using the Palm/WinMo version of Epocrates, the iPhone version is much easier to use... has a better layout... has better accessability.... takes advantage of the screen.... It's a great combo for health professionals like myself.

Eventually, I'll add the Lexi-Comp programs as well, making this probably one of the better on-the-fly medical resources out there.

Suddenly the iPhone is starting to look a little more "Professional"

11. macrumors 68000

brop52

Good news. Now all they need to do is update the iPhone so I can buy it some time before July when I start rotations.

12. macrumors regular

I'll go with No. ;)

Though I do like the app because I like to know what I'm ingesting.

13. macrumors regular

Yep- when Epocrates became available, that was when I upgraded to an iPhone.

14. macrumors 6502a

Ouch! I just paid for Epocrates Rx Pro for my new BlackBerry Bold. I knew I should have waited and got the iPhone.

And yes, this is news worthy. I use this app all the time!

15. macrumors regular

You can switch platforms for free

16. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Gawd, now my iPhone tells me when I can get high? Oh, I meant medicated with prescription drugs... LOL :D

I would definitely buy this app if I were in the medical field/profession. :cool:

17. macrumors regular

I got money back (actual REFUND) when I sold my palm devices and switched to the iPhone. Just cancel the Blackberry sub with them and use the credited dollars to get the iPhone subscription

18. macrumors 6502a

Thank you for that information. Had no idea I could do that.

19. macrumors 6502a

Newsworthy! My dad has been waiting to switch from the Windows Mobile Platform to the iPhone because Epocrates Essentials wasn't ported to the iPhone yet. Hes a doctor and sometimes uses it for references. And also being a medical student right now, this is great news for me too! Although, its a little expensive

20. macrumors member

Agree Newsworthy

It's why I got my iPhone!

21. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

22. macrumors 6502a

I paid for Lexi Pediatrics last fall so will probably hold off on Essentials for the time being...but it's absolutely great for health care professionals to have it available. I'd estimate that half of the house staff at my institution have iPhones now, and this should encourage even more to switch.

At this point the only two things left I'd like to have for work/study would be an offline version of Up To Date and a Zitelli Pediatric Atlas app. :)

23. macrumors 68000

brop52

There are a lot of 50% off coupon codes floating around the internet.

24. macrumors member

Re: Epocrates

I am a Clinical Pharmacist and I have been using the free version for quite a while. Its okay... Its not comprehensive enough and does not give detailed information that I would not already know. Still waiting for that do it all easy to use all in one medical application.

I find Lexi's information too generic, I wish UpToDate would bring something soon.

25. macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Maybe it's not comprehensive enough because you only had the trial version?