Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Anyone has experience with these two?

Looking for a good printer (photo and general use), economical ink use and decent scanner. Would either of these two fit he bill?

Thanks

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
Has anyone used both of these printers, or at least a PIXMA and Artisan to print the same picture?

I am finding my PIXMA prints very dark, and I have to greatly increase the brightness and exposure to get my pictures to print correctly. I am wondering if this is simply a defect with the PIXMA, or if the Artisan also has the same issue.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Has anyone used both of these printers, or at least a PIXMA and Artisan to print the same picture?

I am finding my PIXMA prints very dark, and I have to greatly increase the brightness and exposure to get my pictures to print correctly. I am wondering if this is simply a defect with the PIXMA, or if the Artisan also has the same issue.
It could be your screen that needs adjustment or that you're using the wrong settings to print pictures.

Having said that, no I haven't used a PIXMA.

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011

have you calibrated your monitor? and also use your printer's icc profile for color management settings? (you can do soft proofing in photoshop using your printer's icc profile to check approximately how your print out looks like) ..

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand

Ya that sounds a lot like gamma issues.

AgRacer

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
I have the Artisan 730 with the hotzone360.com CISS system. Works very well.

I have had some issue with dark prints as noted above. They come out a bit darker than on my monitor. My monitor was calibrated with the built in software (not external like with a color spyder) and when I'd send images to to Costco to be printed, they'd come home matching the monitor pretty close so I did not worry too much about the calibration (as it, the monitor matched my output and that's what matters).

When I first got the Epson, the prints came out much darker in color (greens were black, whole photo was 'dark'). I did a lot of googling and have fixed the setting and things are better, but I'm still having trouble getting it to match my monitor as well as I had before by going to Costco to get prints.

Regarding ICC profiles, If I soft proof with the Costco profile in PS, the change in the image is barely noticeable, when I soft proof the Epson profile, the change is VERY noticeable (again - dark).

I really wanted to take more control of my prints, have them immediately available and the cost with the CISS and Costco paper (300-4x6 sheets is $10 at the warehouse) is less than sending the prints to Costco. My old printer was dyeing AND the ink we expensive. Office Max had a $100 off the 730 so I picked one up.

Now I have to adjust how I do things b/c what I see on the monitor is not what I get on the printer unless I soft proof and adjust the image. It's not a HUGE deal, but it is one more step I have to deal with.

Regardless of which printer you buy, you're going to have to deal with color profiles and getting things to match up with the camera, monitor and printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.