Epson 2200 or wait????

Discussion in 'Community' started by Plutonique9, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Plutonique9 macrumors newbie

Plutonique9

Hey,

I'm a photography student looking to buy a professional inkjet & have been looking at the Epson 2200 for a while. My main points in buying the Epson is;

•Archival Pigmented Inks
    •Wide-Format printing (up to 13" x 44")
    •Ability to print on a wide variety of papers and other mediums

Now, the only reason I haven't gone ahead yet is that epson released the R800 earlier this year which improves on Epson's 7-color Ultrachrome system. The R800 uses 8 colors (added red & blue for increased Gamut) + a gloss optimizer for printing on gloss photo papers.

Now, the only complaints I've heard about the 2200 is it's limited Gamut (in comparison to the Canons) and the time to print. Now, I don't really care about time as long as the quality is there, but Gamut is important & it seems the R800 fills thoses gaps.

The R800 is, however, only an A4 printer..... Which is no good for me. Anyone think that it's worth waiting a bit to see if epson releases the R800 in a wide-format printer (like the 2200)?

Thanks

Ryan

2. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    hmmm, interesting printer, the R800. i'm very curious to see how that thing prints.

to answer your question though, don't count on a larger format version of that. i would say however, expect a replacement to the 2200, using 8 inks, not with a R and B, but the usual CcMmY LightBlack PhotoBlack and MatteBlack. Much the same as their new Pro4000. This uses the 7colours of the 7600/9600 but has the alternative PhotoBlack so you don't have to purge the lines to swap between that and the Matte.

the 2200 is a great printer, but it's been out a while. i know a few photographers that have used one, they're very popular, and the results are good.

if you can wait, i'd hold out and see what the release to fill that gap the old 2200 hundred is creating as it ages. they've done a good job with the 4000, so expect to see a cut down version of that, rather than a bigger version of the r800 :)

that's my thoughts anyway....

3. allroy macrumors member

R800 is awesome

been using for about 4 months and very impressed. It eliminates the bronzing the 2200 has on glossy paper (via a gloss opimizer). However I print mostly on matte papers and I don't think anything can touch the quality of it. Canon's are good for printing speed and on glossy only (but not archival). blah blah... as for the 20 million dollar question when will the 2200 be updated, nobody knows but Epson. The future 2200 most probably will be updated with the R800 technology not the 4000. It would be more cost effective to drop the R800 insides into a larger format that to shrink the 4000, that thing is a beast.

If you need a printer and can get a good price on the 2200 you will be happy with it, or step up to the 4000. I'd wait till after Photokina at the end of the month and go from there.

cheers

4. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

yeah, defo wait 'til after photokina.

so you think it'll use a red and a blue ink huh??? my reasoning behind them not doing that was because i believe the people wanting to buy a 2200 (or replacement) will want the cmyk inks, and not a glorified consumer photo printer. but hey, i've not seen th prints from the r800, so i'm just thinking out loud :)

5. Plutonique9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Plutonique9

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait it out till Photokina. Have Epson or Canon ever unveiled new technology at that show? The 2200 is now 2.5yrs old so you'd think an update would be imminent. I just hope that when it's introduced, it will be more like the 2200's price range now and not the $900 price it originally went for.

seeya ryan

6. Plutonique9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Plutonique9

I hope the color system used in an updated 2200 would mimic that of the R800. The addition of the Red + Blue Pigment ink should, hopefully, get the Gamut up to the range of Canon inkjets. Specifically, the 220 is dull in the green and red color gamuts, Red will take care of the red, of course, and the Blue (Mixed with Yellow) should handle the green. On top of that, the R800 has both cartrige holders for Glossy black & Matte black.....so there is no need to switch around cartridges like the 2200. The Gloss Optimizer is purported to completley remove bronzing when printing glossy. All it's lacking now is a wide-format version :)