Epson C84 driver?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hackcomic.com, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

I am using an epson C84 printer with my new G5. Well, not really using. I hit print and nothing happens. The printer set up utility comes on- it shows my c84 but says "driver not installed." I am using Panther. Do I need to find a driver? The Epson web site only has the driver for 10.2.8.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Do you have the initial C84 installer CD? If not, I can probably send you the driver installer off of it via AIM or something.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If the printer drivers are installed all you should have to do is plug the printer in and turn it on. Mac OS X does the rest. So if you went to the Printer Center and tried to add a printer that wasn't already there then the drivers probably aren't installed.

If you are trying to add the printer are you clicking on USB Printing or ESPSON USB? Normally it doesn't matter which one, but its best to try using the EPSON USB option first. If there is not EPSON USB option then there are no EPSON printer drivers installed.

I would just try using the 10.2.8 drivers. If there isn't an updated driver from EPSON for Panther then the 10.2.8 drivers must work. You can however wait until this Mac OS X.3.3 update comes out which is supposed to have updated printer drivers included in it. This should be released by this time next week.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The C84 is rendevous-aware, just use the rendevous pull down to find this printer. If you have the CD, use it. I don't know if Epson lets you download that particular driver from their website, but I have a C84 so let me know if you can't find it anywhere.

5. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

I insatlled the driver from CD#3 of my Panther install discs. When I go to print- it pops up, no printer installed- so I pull down the menu "edit printer list" The add printer thing opens up and under USB it shows my Epson C84 (which must mean the drivers installed? Or at elast my comp is recognizing it?) And then next to it it says "no driver installed."

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well if you got the printer in the box, there should have been a CD with it that has the driver on it. I had no idea that the Panther install disks had the Epson drivers on them.

7. gbojim macrumors 6502

I did a clean install of Panther when I upgraded which required the drivers to be re-installed. I used the same CD from Epson to install on Panther as I did on Jaguar - no problem.

So just run Epson's install utility.

8. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

I just did- I ran the Epson disc- still the same- I get to the Printer Utility and it shows the C84- says NO Driver installed- then does a search and still nothing. I was actuzally having the same problem in 10.2.8. So it's not a Panther thing.. I just can't figure it out.

9. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

And now Apple tells me that the printer is not campatible with a G5 or Panther despite the fact that ohters I know- and on this board have no problems with it- and that Apple is giving it away with purchases of the G5.. Guess I'll call Epson.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Do a search in finder for "Epson C84". Delete the plist file and try reinstalling. That's what I had to do to get my C82 working.

11. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'll trade you my PowerBook guaranteed to work with that C84 for your G5 tower and monitor.

There.

Problem solved. :D

13. Calliander macrumors member

This printer is the biggest pain in the arse. I've done about three or four jobs for customers with this exact same problem. Sometimes you get lucky with the various troubleshooting tips people have presented here and other times you have to format the drive and reinstall the OS.

I can't believe the amount of complaints I've heard exactly like this. But, to reiterate, here are the steps you take.

1) Try the EPSON USB setting.
    2) Try the Rendezvous setting.
    3) Delete the Epson printer prefs in your user library prefs folder.
    4) Create a new user and see if you can print with the new user. If not, go to step 5. If you can, transfer your data from the old user to the new user. You will have to reset your prefs - iApps, other programs.
    5) Reinstall OS X using Archive & Install with the "Preserve Users and Network Settings" option, customize the install and make sure all additional print drivers are installed.
    6) Backup all your data, format the drive, and install. Customize the install and use all additional print drivers. You will have to reset all of your prefs - Network Settings, iApps, etc.

If none of that works, take it to an Apple Store or a Reseller and see if they can determine a hardware issue or something I'm forgetting. :)

14. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

15. icebook macrumors newbie

Even simplier - go to www.epson.com find your locale and download the latest driver. I was somewhat confussed to find that the OS X disc (10.3) installed gimp drivers (generics?) + epson utility and this was where all my problems lay - as soon as the proper driver was installed everything was fine. But on another note anyone got Epson Print Util to work via airport yet????

16. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I called Epson.. Despite the fact that the computer has a Parallel port and sells a parallel to USB adapter- you cannot use it. You have to go USB to USB cable. Now under add printer/ Epson USB- the Epson c84 now shows up.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah, no wonder selecting 'USB Printer' didn't help!