Epson ink

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by auxplage, Apr 12, 2005.

1. auxplage macrumors 6502

I have a quick question. Since Epson ink for my R200 printer would cost over $80 to replace all of it, I have looked into generic ink that should work. Is the quality of this ink as good because I am trying to save $50? I only print occasionally and am not too concerned with the quality unless it is significantly worse.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've got the same question. I've also got an R200 that needs new ink. It sure seemed to run out fast! Anyway, anybody tried generic ink? I think I heard somewhere that generic ink significantly degrades quality when printing photos, but I don't know whether that's true or not.

3. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Try here...

http://www.abitech-ink.co.uk/

Try the above site - they are based in the UK but ship Worldwide, and plus they are fast and have excellent print quality.

In fairness, it isn't the same as epson (for example, the ink dries slower and seems to soak into the page more) but in my experience this doesn't really matter at all. Let me know what you think.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Using third party inks voids part of the warranty on the printer. (Mostly related to the printheads.)

Also, the Epson inks are highly water resistant, you would want to make sure the third party inks are the same. Otherwise if your print gets wet, it'll run.

5. auxplage thread starter macrumors 6502

The printer, Epson R200, was only $99, and if it breaks I will just buy an all-in-one which thinking back is what I should have bought from the start. This printer is very nice, but I rarely ever print - one year later the ink is gone. I have printed literally a couple of dozen photos (4x6) and text documents. My old HP Deskjet 812C's ink while obviously lacking the print quality lasted a very long time. Oh well, I will quit my rant.

I will try this out. It sounds good to me.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Reviving an old thread, but my R200 has finally run out of ink. It's cheaper to go buy a new one than it is to go buy new ink for it, so I'm just going to do that unless I can find a good generic ink supplier. I print photos and CD/DVDs with it, so I want ink that's high quality.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I buy compatible Epson inks for my R200 for around US$5 per cartridge. Under a class-action lawsuit, printer manufacturers cannot void warranty service for users who use compatible ink cartridges.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The only thing I keep hearing is that the colour is not nearly the same so, as long as you can adjust your expectations, you'll be fine.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You run out of all your ink at the same time? And keep in mind that with a new printer, you get only partially filled ink cartridges.

10. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    inkdaddy.com has some great deals - just check out dealmac.com before you buy (I think the last coupon code was "daddy40" for 40% off the total price. I have an R200, and the generic ink works well, but yes, it does run if you get it wet before it's completely dry. Better paper yields better results, too. Heck, if you're using a <$90 printer, what do you expect? I run to Wal-Mart for prints I want to hang; photos from my R200 are just fine for my desk or my wallet.

Just my experience. YMMV.

MFK