Epson Printer Won't Print in Classic

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Error Type -43, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Error Type -43 macrumors member

I just purchased an Epson RX500 all in one and installed the software as directed in the instructions. It works fine while in 10.2 but when I'm using a classic app, it won't print. When I go to the chooser and select the RX500, the "select a printer port" box next to it is blank - the Epson instructions says it should show "USB Port." Whenever I try to print, it keeps telling me I need to select a printer from the chooser. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and downloaded the latest drivers with no luck. What's going on??

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

System Components could be the issue

I suspect your problem is that the Mac OS 9 USB driver(s) are missing or corrupt. Try reinstalling OS 9.

3. jonu macrumors newbie

Did this work for you? I am having the same problem with a CX5400. Epson told me to install the drivers after booting in OS 9, but since I have a new iBook I can't boot OS 9 directly. They then told me:

"Epson does support these models of computers in the OS X environment, but
    not in the Classic OS 9 shell. There are no immediate plans to support our
    printers in the Classic OS 9 environment, but we do support a full version
    of the Operating System 9.X."

Apple told me that Epson needs to supply a Classic Driver.

Nobody said anything about Apple's OS 9 USB drivers. I suppose it is possible that they got corrupted either when I tried to install the Epson or when I unsuccessfully tried to install my USB hard drive driver. (I had the Epson working fine after the OSX install, but when I eventually tried to print from Classic I then also tried the OS9 install, which generated a few error messages but did not seem to affect the OS X printing.)

4. Error Type -43 thread starter macrumors member

I'm suspecting there may be some conflict from the Epson software itself. Several times during the install, the system was on "wait" with the pinwheel spinning for about 20 minutes with no response. I eventually tried a force quit and after that, it freed up and continued with the installation. Also, after installing Epson's software, everything on the computer ran very erratic. Installing drivers downloaded from Epson's site went much smoother but in the end, I still couldn't print from any classic apps. Whenever I open Epson Scan, it takes forever to load.

I'll try reinstalling OS9. I'll check if the OS9 USB extension is missing (I don't remember seeing it). Can I just download the USB extension somewhere and drop it in the extensions folder instead of reinstalling OS9?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Epson print could be making a direct hardware call or using a Toolbox routine that didn't get included in Carbon.

The first on would kill Classic functionality, and the second one would mean the extension isn't ported to Carbon easily.

Most likely it's both, and Epson didn't feel the effort was worth it.

At least they made OS X drivers for your printer, quite a few scanners and printers got lost in the OS 9 to OS X switch.

And means you have to save the document to print it using a OS X app.

6. jonu macrumors newbie

I found (while experimenting with several different OS 8.6 extensions, none of which seemed make any difference in the end), that you just have to reboot the Mac and use the Chooser before doing any other printing. At this time, the USB Port will show up and be selected. You can then print from OS 9.

If you then try to print in OSX, the print job seems to enter an endless loop. This can be corrected (at least in my case) by power cycling the printer.

Once you've printed in OSX, it appears that you cannot print again from OS 9 until you restart and use the Chooser again. (It does not seem to work if you try to print without first using the Chooser.)

This is definitely not an optimal solution, but I guess I can live with it given that, despite a heavy reliance on OS 8(9) applications (including 68000 executables), I did not notice the problem until I had the printer installed for two weeks. If anyone has any better solutions, though, I'd love to hear them. (I did not try to reinstall OS9 as suggested earlier since I have not yet gotten around to setting up a backup routine. I'm still holding out some hope of getting my external USB drive working too.)

PS. I found that it is NOT a good idea to power cycle the printer (all-in-one) while connected with OSX booting. Apparently there is some communication with the scanner at this time.

The first part is true, but this is a new printer, and I would not have bought it without advertized OSX and OS9 support.

As to the second part, I was really disapointed with AppleWorks when I tried printing my Word 98 document with it. Not only was formatting not preserved well, but when I tried to cut and paste the fonts changed throughout the entire document. Also, trying to print from page n on (n>1) got me no output at all.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Have you heard of a Mac OS 9 clean install?

Doing a clean install on Mac OS 9 is similar to Mac OS X's Archive and Install option in that it creates a new system and renders the old one unbootable. One notable difference, though: in Mac OS 9, merging the old system with the new one was MUCH easier than it is in Mac OS X, especially if you installed command-line utilities before you reinstalled. My point is that doing a Mac OS 9 clean install is relatively safe (compared to a regular install) even if you don't have a current backup. In the end, it's up to you, but I thought I would point this out.

8. Error Type -43 thread starter macrumors member

update

Here's what I have done since first posting:

- I have downloaded the latest drivers from Epson with no results.
    - Did a reinstall of OS9 (my laptop is relatively new so with very little to backup, it was painless)...albeit, with no results.
    - Borrowed my girlfriend's Stylus 925 and installed its drivers and tried using her printer...same results.
    - Returned my RX500 and bought an HP all in one 1350v. Installed the drivers and the printer actually shows up in the chooser under "select a printer port." BUT, when I try to print in any classic app, I get a message that says, "The HP printer is not responding. In order to print from Classic you must be connected to a network."

So basically I'm back to square one. Why would I need to be connected to a network??? This is simply frustrating. All I want to do is PRINT!

9. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

drivers specifically written for OS9 won't necessarily work in classic. The problem is that when ever a classic app tries to communicate with hardware it does so via OS X so you can end up with all kinds of recognition problems.
    Don't know what the solution is though I'm affraid I got my epson printer with classic drivers they released OS X ones about 6 months ago. None of the apps I use run in Classic so I have no probs what software are you using?

10. Error Type -43 thread starter macrumors member

The problem is that I do the bulk of my printing (like jonu) from classic apps, primarily Illustrator 9. I suppose I could upgrade to Adobe CS but who wants to do that just to print?

11. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

find someone with illus 10. Enough copies floating around. It is illegal and can't be condoned ;) :rolleyes: but hey.

12. Error Type -43 thread starter macrumors member

13. scan300 macrumors 6502

I have an EPSON Photo RX510. The documentation explicitly states that the product will not work in classic. Only OSX and full boot into OS9 will work. I assume this applies to most of their range. Trying to make OS9 drivers work in classic for a USB printer won't' work.

So far, only ethernet networked postscript printers are the only printers I can run across all 3 modes, and in some instances using old OS9 drivers.

Heres a workaround:
    For Illustrator 9, export pdf files or ps or eps files, preferably pdf files. to disk.

You can set up your active printer to be a desktop printer (Panther only). Open printer utility, select your printer and under the printer menu select 'Create Desktop Printer'.

You can drop your pdf files onto the desktop printer and they will print fine in OSX native mode.

ps and eps files can be converted to pdf files by double clicking on them. (Panther only).

You could even create an Applescript folder action which could automate the process.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe.... and for the longest time the complaint was that there wern't enough OS X drivers written for printers, now there aren't enough classic ones.

Are you doing high-quality work? If not, you could try saving your file as a jpeg or pdf of something, then transfer it to X and print from there. Just a thought.

15. Error Type -43 thread starter macrumors member

What if my PB isn't dual-boot and I can't get into the OS9 system folder and I can't remove any of the OS9 extensions? Am I just screwed? I've been doing the .ai conversion to .pdf but I'd like to save the extra step and hard drive space.