epson printer wont print K in CMYK mode

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by j dikun, Oct 23, 2003.

1. j dikun macrumors newbie

Oct 5, 2003
    Hi---I have a older mac with an epson stylus pro ink jet printer. When printing in the CMYK mode (I get there by going into "page setup" and then "options" for the printer setup), what happens is the CMY print beautifully but the K prints with horizontal lines of missing ink thru the K type areas. Also if I print a 4c photo-the K will not print and only the CMY print. The printer has ink. When the page set up is changed to "monochrome", there is no problems and the K will print correctly without any of the above mentioned problems. Thus I think it may be some kind of a software? problem. HELP - I need to print some stuff in CMYK!
  2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    I believe when you set it to monochrome, the printer uses all of the color inks to produce a black. When set to CMYK, the printer uses ink from the black tank.

Have you tried running the Nozzle Check? If you are getting lines in the black area, try cleaning the print heads a few times.

Also, my Epson does the same thing so I usually just set the print type to Quality instead of Speed. This causes the printer to overlap it's printing and it comes out okay.

I really wish Epson would follow HP and have the print heads built into the cartridges. With HP, you replace the print heads each time you replace the cartridge, so it makes for easier maintenance.