Epson Problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Panther Blue, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Panther Blue macrumors regular

Okay, I have an Epson Stylus C80, which was in perfect working order until there was a tragedy and someone who happens to help out around my house was cleaning up my desk and yanked a wire.

It happened to be the wire to the USB port of my beautiful printer, and it pulled out the entire damn socket. It could not be fixed when I brought it in for repair, and I can't afford a new one.

I found an old USB/Serial Adapter, so I'm trying to use that with my printer, b/c it has a SCSI (i think? it says parallel on it) port. Anyway, I know it is the right cable, and it's manufactured by epson.

So i plug it into my computer, and for some bizarre reason, it recognizes its presence, can identify the printer, but gives me communication errors when i try to print. this is really bugging me, I have the latest driver, and epson says that they won't help me b/c they "only support USB with my printer". What do I do?

2. Ensoniq macrumors regular

The Stylus C80 has neither SCSI nor Serial ports on it. It says Parallel because that is what it is. (The PC standard for printing before USB.)

There is no possible way that a USB to Serial cable is going to let you print on a Mac to a printer's Parallel port. The connector isn't even the same.

I think it's brand new $99 printer time, my friend. :)

-- Ensoniq

3. m4rc macrumors 6502

If you really can't afford a new one, then the printer is basically useless. So take it apart and have a look at the extent of the damage to the USB socket. You may well find a couple of wires soldered together and it will work fine.

Marc

4. Panther Blue thread starter macrumors regular

But the connector fits... hmm... well... okay, I guess I'll have to use my Mom's piece of **** $29 BEFORE REBATE Canon, lol.

5. Panther Blue thread starter macrumors regular

Can someone please help me out here... I really do want to fix this. There has to be something I can do.

6. m4rc macrumors 6502

You had pretty much all the help you are goona get I think. If you dont want to take the back off and check the connection the go here:

http://www.ebusinesscables.com/

have a USB to Parallel cable, $27.50.

If that won't do it, new printer time. That really is anyone can suggest, I don't think anyone is going to come up with a time machine to go back and stop the damn thing getting broken.

Marc

7. Panther Blue thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks guys, for trying. i'll save my allowance up.