Epson R1800 – Gloss – Control?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rickysals, Feb 26, 2006.

1. rickysals macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2006
    Kent, OH
    Hey all,

new here.

I'm a visual communication design student @ Kent State, and have an R1800 that I use for final layouts, and my photojour roommate uses for portfolio shots...

Is there a way to control the gloss cartridge more than I can find right now... which is complete coverage, or no coverage???

I ask because I think it would be a nice option to be able to use it almost as a varnish, in layered typography. I'd just like to be able to either treat the gloss as almost a spot color, or even have it as it's own document and overprint onto a layout.

Any ideas?
  2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I get what you're trying to do, but unfortunately, I think that printer lacks the electronics to do what you want. If all of your gloss applications were rectangular, you could print blank images with gloss turned on, but you'd have to run the paper through the printer for each rectangle, one at a time.

The only other possibility (which Epson probably has taken steps to prevent) is if the gloss cartridge is physically interchangeable with the black ink cartridge. Then you could just have a mask image in black and white to apply the gloss. But chances are 1) that the gloss cartridge does not fit in the black and 2) may use a different application mechanism. If 1 is true but 2 is false, you could always clean out an old black cartridge and fill it with the gloss liquid and give that a shot. There's a chance of damaging your printer here though, if all the pieces don't fall into place.
  3. riciad macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2005
    I read the original post and thought that would be a pretty amazing effect if you could pull it off but couldn't figure any way it would be possible.
    I'd say 1) definitely won't work as I accidently grabbed a red cartridge rather than magenta once and spent a few minutes cursing it before I realised why it wouldn't fit.
    Maybe when my 1800 is a bit older I might chance the second method but I somehow don't think it would be too healthy for the printer.
  4. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    I have an R800, and the gloss cartridge is the same as the black cartridge. I don't know about the R1800 though. The only thing I'd be worried about is damaging the heads after long term use. I'd check up on technical specifications to see what the heads are on the black and gloss jets. Otherwise it should work just changing the cartridge and using a mask image like he stated.

I have noticed, however, that with HP printers some of the cartridges will only work if they are the correct one. So with those I just bust out the hacksaw, saw off the top of the cartridge and yank out the sponge. Rinse it real good, run a few sheets with just water to clear the heads, then put in whatever ink you want. All you do is scotch tape the top back on and the printer doesn't see any problem with it. It works great for UV printing on cheapo HP printers.
  5. rickysals thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2006
    Kent, OH
    hehe thanks guys...

yea i wish there was more control. Oh well... maybe next generation.

i wanna try the switching cartridges, but also am scared to do it haha, this thing is tempermental as it is... don't wanna kill it