Epson R1800 or Canon i9950/i9900

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by illustratorDavi, Apr 6, 2005.

1. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

Hi

I'm looking into getting a new a3 printer for my illustration work.

I'm considering getting the Epson R1800 or Canon i9950/i9900. Can anyone recommend either printers ?

Epson R1800
    + 44 inch long prints
    + takes thicker paper using flat, rear loader.
    + cartridges are supposed to print for longer
    - epson chip system rather than canon optical level sensing
    - colour tends to be more saturated towards magenta
    - printhead has to be replaced by epson

Canon i9950/i9900
    + really good quality from my s9000 (at first)
    + printhead can be replaced
    + optical cartridge level detector
    - only prints 52cm long
    - cartridges don't last long

Thanks
    David

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've got a Canon i9900 and I'm quite satisfied with it. I've yet to get a good print from an Epson photo printer because of the magenta cast. I've had the i9900 since around August and it continues to perform well and the FireWire interface certainly helps keep it fast and away from the USB contention madness that I suffer with other peripherals.

3. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Go for the Canon

I used to be very pro Epson, however they have a very common problem - their print heads get clogged up very easily. Nearly everyone I know who has an Epson printer has had this problem regardless of model and age of printer. Sometimes a head clean fixes the problem, but IF it works the large amount of ink this uses is unbeliveable.

If the printer is well and truly clogged the printer has to go back to Epson, with a Canon printer you just change the print head.

Another common problem is that sometimes black ink tends to get dropped randomly all over the page!

I recentley purchased a Canon Pixma ip5000 and I cannot believe the qaulity I getting from it (it cost £100 less than my old Epson). Its also very fast and quiet and the running costs are much lower too. The i9900 is even better!

Hope this helps

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

A magenta cast may mean that you are double-applying a color correction profile. Can't remember where but there is info on this at Epson.

5. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Lincoln

Your reminding me of the my first and only epson -- it used to get clogged etc when i really needed to use it and i also remember the black ink splodges

Thanks maybe canon is the answer
    David

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I assure you, I don't. The standard series Epsons, low end and high end don't suffer from the problem, only the photo series.