Epson Scan ... Arrgh

Discussion in 'Community' started by Flynnstone, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I have a Epson CX5400. I am running Panther 10.3.7 and fast user switching. The none admin users are getting an error popup on the screen, with the following message: "EPSON scan cannot be started ..." with yes and no buttons. The popup cannot be dismissed.

Anyone seeing this problem or better yet a solution?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think I have a Epson CX5400 at home (not exactly sure of the model number, but the pics on a google image search match), and I can see about duplicating the problem when I get off work. Does the error occur when the non-admin users are trying to scan something? I know I've tried printing before on a non-admin account on my machine and it worked just fine. Let me know how they are getting the errors and I can help.

3. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I think I have it figured out ... many thanks to Epson tech support.

Kill Epson Scan Monitor task and move application to the trash.

I wonder what the app did? Check to see if the "scan" button on the printer was pressed I suppose?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I believe that's exactly what it does. I don't think that I have it running. They may have found another way to support that.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Glad you fixed it, I couldn't duplicate the problem on my CX5400, even after pressing the scan button. Mind you when I hit the scan button nothing happens anyway. I'd be tempted to see if I could get it working if I knew it wasn't going to mess up my computer.

6. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Is your CX5400 loud when grabbing paper? kaa-chunk!

I have a CX6600 at work that seems quieter.

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

For that first one of the night? Yes it is! Actually last night while I was printing up a graph I was noticing that it has two start ups. The first is when you turn the power on, there is a short 5 to 10 second startup, but when you send your first print job there is another 30 second startup process before it starts printing. It's near the end of the second startup that the loud ka-chunk happens when it adjusts the paper tray. If you go to print later you don't get that same long process, it seems to print fairly quickly.

BTW my scan button works, what it does is bring up the window with all the scan options (like scan to file, scan to fax, etc.). I didn't notice it at the time of my previous post because the window was already open.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's probably just a matter of assigning permissions correctly to Epson Scan Monitor, so that all users can access it equally.

I tried the scan sequence of buttons on my CX6400 and it does nothing.

9. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I tried the scan button on my CX6600 at work ... nothing.

I used a (slightly prehistoric) Agfa SnapScan Touch before. The button on it worked.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, at one point either my CX5200 or my CX6400 would open Image Capture. Oh wait...I think I disabled it from doing that. :D I just don't remember how that worked.