Epson Stylus 740 woes in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, May 17, 2003.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok here's the deal, my epson stylus 740 with a serial connection on a wallstreet powerbook will not run in OSX, I checked apple site and says the 740 is supported in OSX but at the epson website the drivers only go up to OS 9. So how can i print in OSX with microsoft word?

Tyler

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Have you tried to hook up the printer through USB to see if you can print from Word V.x?

You should try to print through serial or USB. The worst that will happen is you'll receive an error message and the document will not print.

3. the_ron macrumors newbie

I use a 740 with my iMac, but its connected by USB. I didn't need any drivers; I just plugged it in and it showed up in the print center. I'm running 10.2.

4. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

the problem is that the wallstreet has no USB and the USB connection in the PC slot on it isnt like any ive seen before. It very very narrow and only a few milimeters in thickness. also the print center thru microsoft word X doesnt have any settings to add a serial printer. only usb and firewire ones. any other suggestions?

Tyler

5. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Serial under OS X is the problem

Considering that I have used the same printer under all versions of OS X on an iMac 266MHz and a PowerMac dual 800 MHz I would say that the problem is with the serial connection. My recommendation would be to get a USB card for your PowerBook and connect the printer through that.

6. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

umm where can i get a usb PC card for a wallstreet Powerbook, doesnt have to be USB 2, i just need one port.

Tyler

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Funny. Well, actually it's not, really...

This is funny. I have a problem with my SC740 too. But my problem is with USB, actually. The printer prints, but there's no way I can get to the 'Print Settings' page (under the pull-down menu in the 'Print...' dialog). If I try to get that page up, the driver takes down the application in which I did so. Really weird. Anyone else getting this problem? Has nothing to do with PC cards and/or laptops. This is just on an ordinary desktop Mac with built-in USB, so it's really strange I'm having this problem. I think. I hope, really. Because if I'm the only one, it can be solved.

Although this seems like a good time to invest in an all-in-one printer-scanner-copier machine, since my UMAX scanner has been left out in the cold by Mac OS X. I might just think about that option. Although money is the ruling factor; I don't have it.

But, still, any suggestions concerning my problem with the EPSON Stylus Color 740 printer? Please?!...

:(