Epson Stylus C63

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nermal, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I need a new printer, and I've been looking at the Epson Stylus C63. Does anyone have any experience with this printer? I will be plugging it into a Windows computer and connecting via Samba, I've already checked Gimp-Print to ensure that it's compatible.

So, has anyone used it, and what are you recommendations?

2. bradz_id macrumors member

the gimp-print drivers are very limited and epson's drivers are not proper mac os x printer drivers either. instead of printers coming up under "usb printers" Epson make another non-compatible with connecting to shared printers section called "Epson USB" I tried for weeks getting my Epson C41UX to work over samba using the gimp-print driver but it simply printed out code and jibberish and no matter what setting the mac or the pc were on, it simply wouldn't work. Having said that, I think the Epson C63 is the best Valued high end inkjet printer around but epson printers are just no good for cross platform sharing because of their lousy mac os x driver. If you were using the printer just by swapping the usb plug between computers, i couldn't think of a better printer though.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I should be able to fight my way around Gimp-Print, I currently have a Windows-only HP 710C, which is not supported by Gimp-Print AT ALL, and I've managed to get it working by using a PostScript emulator, I hope to never have to set that up again!

But if I can get that HP going, then I can probably get a "supported" Epson to work :)

4. bradz_id macrumors member

OK. If you get it working, could you do me a HUGE favour and let me know how you did it? I am familiar with pretty much everything to do with CUPS etc.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sorry, but it looks like I'll be getting a CX3100 instead. I need the "copier" function.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I've got the CX3100, and it was ridiculously simple to set up :)