Epson Wide Format Inkjets

Discussion in 'Community' started by sparkymarky, Aug 29, 2003.

1. sparkymarky macrumors newbie

I recently bought an EPSON 7600, one of the big boys, and I am thouroughly satisfied. I love its clarity and versitility. I am here to stand up against most of you Anti-Epsonites and proudly say with my chest out and chin up, I LOVE IT. If you have the balls to take a chance on an epson wide format, I loved the service I got from eximvaios.com. The guys have a vast knowledge of the subject and gave great service. Eat your hearts out AntiEpsonites.

Yours truly,
    Happy Epson Customer Mark:D

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Hmm...

Anything you felt you wanted to mention in particular or are you a "compensated endorser" for one of those companies?

Oh, yeah, you love your Epson... write back in three years when both you and it are broke.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I still much prefer HP for printing solutions; in my personal experience they have been the most reliable printers ever.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've got an Epson C82 and I quite enjoy it. My dad just bought a Stylus Photo 2200 for his high quality photo prints that he exhibits and sells. He loves it. Neither of us has ever had a "reliability" problem. If I tell it to print, it prints. Plus it prints beautifully. Sure it may cost a few pennies more per page, but that's why I have a laser printer for heavy duty work. The Epson is here because of its quility. Don't worry Sparkymarky, you'll be happy with it. People here are as rabidly anti-epson as they are anti-MS.

Oh yeah, the only complaint my dad has is that the OSX driver for the 2200 still has some bugs related to odd-size paper, but we're hopeful that will be resolved soon.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Yeah, he loves his Epson, I live mine too but he desn't have to wait 3 years, just wait after printing 20 sheets of paper and you ran out of ink already. Then go to buy some new one and the I will see you again complaining.

The problem with the latest Epson models is the ink. I had a Stylus 660 and works like heaven for 5 years, the I had to change to USB and I got a C60. My surprice is when I ran out of ink printing les than half of what I was printing with the 660.

Then I took the ink cartiges to a refill place and the guy just reseted the memory chips infront of me, the cartiges where full of ink!!! and I have been using it successfuly for another 2 months when the computer was telling me they where empty.

That may be the problem you may face with the Epson printer, unless you have a lot of money and do not care about trashing half full cartiges.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would hope that a wide format printer would be everything you could ever want.

I think it's mostly with the consumer-oriented printers that Epson is tweaking ink. My SC900 cartridges are light, as if empty, when it says that they're out of ink. I'm interested in how my CX5200 all-in-one will do with ink, since it was far less expensive and 3 years later than the SC900.

8. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    My advice, if you have a "Prosumer" Epson printer, spend the cash and buy the BEST RIP to run it with (you'll need a PC unfortunately though). Makes the printers so much better than they already are. And, I believe it also saves you ink too.....

9. sparkymarky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you pseudobrit

pseudobrit: this post was written for you and those you represent. so negative. thank you for exemplifying my message.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, you're being positive without giving specifics. You made a gratuitous assertion that I gratuitously dismissed.

I'll tell you specifically why I'm negative about Epson printers:

1) they're inkjets

2) they bloody drink ink like it weren't seven times the cost of a bottle of Dom

3) they use "killer" chips

Care to tell us what you love about Epson that outweighs these disadvantages?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

From my experience, Epson inkjets aren't any worse than any others. I had 3 HPs and 1 Lexmark.

1) Colour lasers aren't so great. It depends on which models you buy in anything. A Tektronix Phazer solid ink printer is better than both but the cost of consumables is worse. Colour laser output generally stinks.

2) One article does not a fact make. Lexmark and HP don't sell cheap printers just because they're philanthropic. They sell them to sell expensive ink.

3) They also use feedback technology for whatever reason. From my experience, Epson's is no worse than any other. Again, they're in the business to make a profit on ink for the cheap printers.

12. sparkymarky thread starter macrumors newbie

And what exactly do you use my pseudofriend?
    a) i prefer an inkjet b) whose cartridges aren't worth an arm an a leg, relatively? c) you can still print once the chip verifies it is out of ink. ;)