EPStoPDF

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Smileyguy, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Here's a question for anyone in graphics or publishing. I've got a newsetter that I need to get to the printers tonight. I've got PDF's ready to email the printer, but I've noticed a BIG mistake in one that needs changing. Problem is I can't get into the office, and I've only got Quark 5 at home. Quark 5 can fix the problem, but can't save the new edited page as a PDF.

My question is, if I save the edited Quark doc as an EPS document, can I simply convert it to PDF using GraphicConverter (or some other program) or some other program. I've done this and on-screen it seems that the converted version has a little less quality. Keep in mind our printer only takes PDF.

Can anybody help, my job could depend on this!

2. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I've always had good luck with Illustrator making PDF's

Open EPS with Illustrator, save as PDF.

Now I'm not sure about opening a Quark produced EPS in Illustrator...I've never tried that. Why can't Quark make the PDF for you? It should be able to with no problem.

EDIT: I see you're using Quark 5...I'm not sure about making PDF's in 5. You may have to print the document to a Post script file, then use Distiller to make the PDF.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Is Quark 5 OS X or 9... I can't remember. Can't you print a postscript file and use distiller to make the PDF?

4. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Ha! beat ya to it!

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Illustrator, Photoshop or InDesign will both import EPS and export to PDF... you can download trial versions from the Adobe website here. Personally, I've never had any problems using Photoshop for the conversion.

Good luck!

6. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

Download the free PDF Import/Export Xtension from Quark.

PDF Xtension

Then
    File---> Export---> Document as PDF

7. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Wouldn't using Photoshop Rasterize the EPS? Seems safer to use Indesign or Illustrator.

Regardless, I'm still wondering about opening a Quark EPS in Illustrator. I imagine Indesign would do it with no problems though.

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

By the way...do yourself a favor and use InDesign. hehehe

9. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using Quark 5, which runs in OS9. The extension for it posted above isn't working! For some reason, InDesign keeps quitting on me. Argghhh...!!

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It does rasterize the EPS – I tend to use this on occasion though for simple files that I don't want the recipient messing about with. For Smileyguy's problem, I'll second looking at InDesign for the solution – it gives you a lot of control and options over your PDF.

11. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Try bringing it into Illustrator.

12. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

I'm at work on my OS 9 computer right now using Quark 5. The Xtension goes in your Quark Xtensions folder (NOT the System "Extensions" folder), restart Quark, and you should be good to go.

13. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

File menu & Xtensions Manager window

Attached Files: