Equal Time for Satan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Dec 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I too would rather see no religion affiliated with our government institutions.

However, if we are going to allow religious expression in our public buildings, then I fully support Satanists in their desire to likewise participate.

2. macrumors 68020

localoid

From reading the NBC news article about this, I see that according to Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the the New York-based Satanic Temple, "one potential design for the monument to Satan involves a pentagram, a satanic symbol, while another is meant to be an interactive display for children."

The interactive display for children certainly sounds more educational and interesting than some boring pentagram design. (Pentagram? That's just too cliche!)

If nothing else, maybe the monument to Satan would encourage Oklahomans to spiffy up their present Ten Commandments monument, to give it less of the tombstone look.

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 68030

So what would the statue have? Quotes from the Satanist's Bible?

4. macrumors 65816

dec.

I really, really like their approach. It'll be interesting to see where this will go. While I personally don't take Satanists any more serious than Christians, they do have a good point.

5. macrumors 68020

localoid

A sound system that plays songs backwards would be a nice touch...

6. macrumors 68030

Brilliant! Led zeppelins Stairway to Heaven belongs there, the part where it says here's to my sweet Satan.

7. macrumors G3

Renzatic

I thought it said "oh mah sweet SAY-tan, derp a doo a derp a do a SAY-tan".

Anyway, I'm all for this. We need more statues of Ayn Rand standing around to scare little kids with.

8. macrumors 65816

dec.

And someone will hack it and record "live lla fo toor eht".

9. macrumors 68020

localoid

Yes, yes... that song is one of the biggest backwards masking hits of all times!

Maybe a short video about yoga or Harry Potter would be good too, since both are gateways to Satanism.

10. macrumors 65816

I'm confused after reading the article. Do these people really worship Satan?

Or is their point to only show up the Christians?

11. macrumors 6502

They don't worship Satan like in horror movies but recognize that all gods are a creation of man and that man himself is the one that offers love or delivers wrath to his peers.

Given that many [Christian] people these days use their religion as a means to judge and rule over others, they are in fact acting on Satanic principles. The irony!

12. macrumors 603

thekev

Isn't anyone going to reference SNL with this?

13. localoid, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

macrumors 68020

localoid

There seems to be different branches of Satanism. Atheistic Satanism, which views Satan (and other gods/deities) as a myth, and Theistic Satanism, which views Satan as an actual deity.

That said, the question of whether or not displays of the Ten Commandments should be allowed in public buildings is an interesting question. The page Court Decisions on the Ten Commandments has info on recent court cases.

I get the overall impression that the courts have, in general, ruled that most of more sedate displays of the 10 Commandments that have been up for a good number of years are OK, while tending to rule against most of the more recently built displays that tend to be basically very "in your face".

14. macrumors 68000

VulchR

I can't think of a better place for a monument to Satan than on the steps of a state capitol.

15. macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Worshipping a fictional angel because they don't believe in a fictional god? Might as well worshop Ironman. The comics are written evidence and the movies are video evidence in the same way religious texts are evidence for religions. :D

16. macrumors 6502

Always amazes me how many atheists are on here and how fast you come out of the woodwork.

17. macrumors G5

yg17

I have a better idea, how about we follow the Constitution and remove all religious symbols from the courthouse, including the ten commandments.

18. macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I suspect there are more of us than there are people of "faith". I consider myself agnostic however. I keep an open mind. But I'm not going to bet my whole hand on a single card like most religious zealots. ;)

19. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. Either religious symbols can be displayed for ALL or none. I'd prefer none.

20. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Do you have any thoughts to share on the topic, instead of the people commenting on it?

And I'm Buddhist / Atheist, btw.

Some Buddhism at the state capitol might be a good idea as well.

A display of the Eightfold Path might help the legislators conduct themselves better than the Ten Commandments.

21. macrumors G3

roadbloc

A large statue of Dave Grohl dressed up in his Satan costume would be great!

22. macrumors 6502

tgara

Where does the Constitution say that there shall be no religious symbols on courthouses?

23. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

First amendment.

24. macrumors 6502

tgara

I assume you are referring to the anti-establishment clause: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

That phrase was included to prohibit Congress from establishing a national religion or church. Religious imagery in a courthouse is hardly establishment of a religion.

25. macrumors 6502

Actually, what they meant was the separation of state and church. Religion was never to be part of government, not after the long battle against King George III and the Church of England. Yet, somehow over time, religion became an integral part of the (white) people and their vows for a life in freedom guided by religious morals.

Ironically, some founding fathers were Episcopalian who these days are pushing for equal rights.