Equality in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Grey Beard, Apr 17, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

New Zealand is a small nation in the South Pacific. It's population of four and a half million are multicultural.

In 1986, New Zealand passed the Homosexual Law Reform followed in 2005 with the Civil Union Bill.

Now in 2013, the people have legalised Same Sex Marriage and the Parliament tonight passed the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill. The Ayes were 77 and the Noes were 44 and New Zealand proudly becomes the 13th country in the world to sanction gay marriage.

If we can do this in our little piece of paradise, other countries should follow our lead. The time has come to overcome homophobia and bigotry and live together in a new age.

KGB.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68020

pknz

3. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

4. Guest

eric/

5. macrumors 6502

The ironic thing is that I was told the Kiwis are about 50/60 years behind culturally. Well, in your face, person who told me.

You still all have a funny accent though. :p

6. macrumors 65816

You may as well add France to that list, even though it hasn't gone down well to say the least!

7. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yay go New Zealand! Our turn will come this summer.

8. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

9. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

How long do you think though to New Zealand has it's first Maori prime minister?

10. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

11. Guest

eric/

12. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

His father was born in Australia although of Irish descent,his mother was Heni Materoa herself the granddaughter of two Maori chiefs.

I don't understand the bit about it being one hundred years ago.

After inserting what I imagine the original questioner meant, the word "until", I was just pointing out it had already happened.By the way the Prime Minister is elected by the party not in a general election.

13. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

[​IMG]

New Zealand and France.:D

Double dam, I was going to post a reply similar, but you beat me to it.:eek:

14. Guest

eric/

So in other words, it's not like he was some off-the-street Maori guy.

Because it was a hundred years ago? What about since then?

Well, not to infer what the questioner was intending, but it would seem there was an attempt to point out the lack of Maori PMs.

Obviously.

15. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

If the idea is to say NZ could do better at equality for Maori and others then the answer is yes.If the question is have they done better with equality issues than most other western countries then the answer is yes,hands down in some cases.

16. Guest

eric/

I agree, and I think that was the intent of the original question. They do well, definitely, though.

Nope, not making a comparison.

17. macrumors 68000

Sydde

If the Kiwis operated at all like the US congress, each round of floor debate would be initiated with a series of Hakas.

18. macrumors 68040

bradl

I'd be game for that. That would be cool, as long as the Spice Girls don't insult everyone like they did when they did it..

However, just thinking seeing Pelosi, Feinstein, and Bachmann doing the Haka makes me want to break out with a serious case of garbage gut. :eek: :D

EDIT: though I still am waiting for someone down there during any House or Senate debate to break out in the Harlem Shake. ;)

BL.

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

New Zealand has no senate, just a Westminster styled parliament, a house of representatives of 121 members. They presently operate under a Mixed Member Proportional representation (MMP)

And yes, NZ has been leaders in many fields of endeavour, though this thread was originally about NZ becoming the 13th country to enact gay marriage.

KGB:cool:

20. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

21. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Found this important message sliced on a sandwich

The worst fears of conservatives have come to fruition after New Zealand’s approval of gay marriage suddenly and unexpectedly resulted in polygamy, bestiality and interspecies marriage.

“We were warned about the slippery slope but just didn’t believe it,” lamented New Zealand’s President Peter Jackson. “If only we had listened to conservative Christians, my daughter would not now be married to two horses and a rooster. Truly the fabric of civilization is unraveling before our very eyes!”

Reports of nearly 500 human to fish weddings are flooding in, with the number expected to increase. Richard Dawkins went online with apologetic words as he reported that due to spawning methods, Fish-People would soon outnumber humans in the region by 30 to 1, taking our jobs, eventually learning to feast upon the flesh of man until our species is no more, and the Fish-People rule the Earth. Attempts to overturn the destructive gay marriage law have been unsuccessful as the law was sealed into place with a magic Maori love song. “We … told you,” said Pope Francis, “We gdf told you this would happen”.

22. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Great message, and terrific knife control by whoever sliced it into your sandwich!!:eek:

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

24. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Congrats New Zealand!!!

Maybe someday the USA will get there. Too bad we have a lot more stupid than a good chunk of the world :/