Equivalent of Word+Visio's "Click this pic, in doc, launch Visio on it" ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by khammack, Nov 11, 2006.

1. khammack macrumors regular

I'm in a fairly interesting scenario. I just joined an engineering company; most of the engineers are Windows/Linux folks. But it's a very cool place, and they are open to Mac---so open in fact, that once a couple of us got macs the whole lot now wants to switch.

So I'm facing the possibility of working on an all Mac engineering team.

But there are a few hiccups, in particular one of the founders loves the Word + Visio linkup where you can click on a visio pic in a word document and visio launches on it. (That's all I know, because I don't use word or visio).

Most of us are on board with OmniGraffle + Word or NeoOffice Writer. But, and here is my question:

Is it possible to put an OmniGraffle document in a MSWord or NeoOffice Writer document, then double click on the embedded picture and launch OmniGraffle to edit it, so that the file updates in place?

Even an applescript / automator workflow would be great. I'm just looking for some direction from more experienced / advanced Mac users than myself to see if this is possible and what would be the most seamless way to accomplish it.

thanks,
    -kev

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Have you tried contacting the OmniGroup to see if they have suggestions. My impression is that they are quite passionate about their products, so they might want to help.

Since Office and Visio are both Microsoft products, that level of integration may be hard to replicate.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I don't think there is a way (yet) to do that, since the current MS Word is old, non-Cocoa code.

I use both OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle, and I do the same linking you describe, where I place a OmniGraffle file inside a OmniOutliner file, so it is definitely possible.

4. khammack thread starter macrumors regular

Good suggestion; I just emailed support at the omnigroup's domain.

thanks,
    -kev

5. khammack thread starter macrumors regular

Well, according to the Omni Group's tech support it can't be done. Though they had an interesting alternative:

We already found LinkBack, but Nisus Writer was summarily rejected by engineering for some reason. Pity.

-kev

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Gee, I just had a flashback to System 7
    "Publish and Subscribe"...

7. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Remember OpenDoc?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yea, it had its 15 seconds of fame...