equivalent to "windows explorer"?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by QCassidy352, Feb 17, 2004.

1. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I am trying to switch my girlfriend...

One thing that she wants to know about macs is whether there is an equivalent to windows explorer on a PC. That is, she wants a program that will display every existing file on the hard drive.

I've never heard of such a thing, and never even knew it existed on PCs until she told me. Since there are thousands of files that most people don't understand the point of, I don't know why you would want to see all files in a window at once. But she likes this feature on PCs... it is possible on a mac?

2. macrumors 68040

JFreak

id you just want to SEE every file on your hard disk, then open terminal and type:

cd /
    du -ka

...of course seeing it that way tells you little, but one can be sure every single file gets listed, and its size too ;)

3. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Finder is the equivalent of Windows Explorer. You can see the system files and stuff through terminal, but why would you ever want or need to do that?

Ask your girlfriend what she really wants to do. Show her the Mac way to do whatever she's trying to do.

Don't be too heavy handed when you try to get somebody to switch. I've noticed 5 stages of switching, just like there are 5 stages of grief--in fact they're the same. You can't rush somebody or they'll throw up defenses.

4. macrumors member

Just let her use your computer for a while... after a few minutes of use she'll go back to her computer and ask herself, "why isn't my computer beautiful?"

5. macrumors G4

Re: equivalent to "windows explorer"?

What she wants is the column view in the Finder.

6. Moderator emeritus

7. macrumors regular

Re: Re: equivalent to "windows explorer"?

Actually, using list view and the disclosure triangles on folders is more like how Windows Explorer works.

8. macrumors 6502a

MorganX

This is the only solution that would give her what she's looking for. She doesn't really want to "see" all the files, she wants to be able to browse and manage all of the file system from a single unified access point (tree pane.)

This utility looks like it will do the trick, wish I knew about it when I had my iMac.

The new Finder is more Explorer-like but not enough. Hopefully this utility has context-sensitive menus.

9. thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thank you. that's exactly what she's looking for. would be nice if it were built in to the OS, but that will do nicely.