er....this is strange

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by solvalou, Sep 19, 2002.

1. solvalou macrumors newbie

Maybe its only me, but I was doing some homework (college, not school) today. At one point I had to multiply two numbers, one of which was 72.96.

I used the calculator in Jaguar, with the paper tape on.

I enter 72.96 then hit multiply, and before I even enter another number, I get 72.9599999999999 on the paper tape. I've redone it a bunch of times and the result is always the same. This is crazy!!!!

Can someone else do the same? I need to know if I have a very odd bug, or if this is common......

Aaaaargh!!! It does the same for 82.96 and 92.96!!!!!!!

2. dricci macrumors 6502a

I think this has something to do with the Caluclator using the POSIX method of calculations instead of "our" way... I'm not sure if Apple plans on "fixing" it or not.. but I'd say for decimal calculations, use a different calculator...

3. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

just for ****s and giggles i tried it...and, it works fine on my computer. not sure, but i DID update to 10.2.1.....maybe they fixed it?

4. solvalou thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmmmm.....

seems strange.

what does FOOF mean?

Is it uncomplimentary?

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It just reminded me of the old Pentium F00F bug, where you'd get a bogus result when you did certain (very rare) calculations.

6. solvalou thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I thought of too - but it has to be a bug in the calc right - or something deeper?

Just thought it was odd.

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

is it a calc bug or just the computer? are those like 'binary unfriendly' numbers or something? :confused:

but ya use a graphing calculator...beats the number pad on the keyboard any day :D

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Maybe apple is trying to send you a secret message.... :eek: :confused: ... That is coded..... I have been very happy with the new calculator in Jag. It is a lot better then any other calculator that ever shipped with a mac. As for your problem, I bet it was fixed in 10.2.1, but hey, I really have no clue... :D

9. backspinner macrumors 6502a

I thought it was the sound of the "foof" you get if you drag something out of the dock :D ! Like "away with that stupid calculator, remove from the dock".

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

11. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

It happens only in Extended mode. Since its a scientific mode, you should know :) that no real numbers exist. "10,5" for example, does not exist. Everything is an approximation in scientific mode. Thus you get the 99999999....

Edit: It doesnt happen in simple mode because the calc rounds everything. You should do that in sci mode too, then the result is completely correct.

12. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Hm.. i get the same result in 10.2.1... I haven't downloaded the security update yet, but i'm sure it doesn't fix it.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Did you have the paper tape extended? That's where it displays the infinite number.

14. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

I ahve 10.2.1 and te same thing happens to me, VBERY odd, but seriously, it's .9999999999 rather than 1, I don't think the calculation will be off (and if it is, say you used Significant Figures!) Those things PISS ME OFF!

15. stoneage macrumors regular

stoneage

Same thing...

Attached Files: