Eragon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Aug 21, 2006.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so anyone read or reading this book? i've been reading it and like it a lot. i am almost half-way through it.*

can't wait for the movie

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    no

but I like good books,

what's it about?

maybe I'll check it..

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

From what I've heard of it, it isn't so much a good book, but a good story. I think it was written by a teenager. Most of my family has read it and liked it, but say the writing is pretty bad. I didn't read it because I think I'd be distracted by poor writing all the time.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm not sure if the author was a teenager when he wrote it, but he's 22 right now. i don't think the writings poor. they are making a movie about it, so it can't be that bad.*

it's about a boy and a dragon. i don't want to give it away before you read it, but if you like dragons and adventure books, you'll like this one. the boy can talk to the dragon with his mind. it has elves and magic in it also.*

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sorry, I read it and its lame. Didn't get the second book.

He borrowed so much from Tolkein, David Eddings and a bunch others. Nothing really original and a little over the top in most cases. I didn't know there was going to be a movie. Good for him - but I don't imagine its going to do that well.

D

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

First book was pretty good, neat characters
    second book was very predictable and actually quite bad

movie looks so so

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i don't know......i think it's a good book about a dragon adventure. just thought i'd talk about it here.*

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I read it, and it was a great book. The writing isn't poor at all, if anything you should go read it yourself. I havn't started the second book yet, but the first one was fantastic. And the guy who wrote it isn't just another teenager he's a really bright person who is now 22 I believe?

9. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Soembody gave me the 2nd book to read last Xmas. Its ok for kids. The dragon riders had a buddhist outlook if i remember correctly. I believe he started writing the first book at 17(?). I think his writtings still rough, but he's gotten a great opportunity hopefully he can capitalize and improve.

I prefer George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones and Scott Bakker's The Darkness that Comes before:The Prince of Nothing. :)

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i knew there was someone else who enjoyed the book. thanks*:cool:

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its all personal preference - its an ok story if it had been more original. I've read a lot of sci/fi and fantasy over the years and its just too similar to what's out there.

If you like this type of stuff, read some of Dave Duncan's books. They are incredibly original.

Oh, and McCaffrey's Dragon Rider series is probably the better of the genre.

http://www.annemccaffrey.net/

D

12. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I've read both and agree the writing was not the best, but it was enjoyable. There were some original ideas that I quite liked and I will read the 3rd and last novel, but that's because I just have to know the end.

I agree, the Dragon Riders of Pern series is by far the benchmark for dragon stories.

Dave Duncan's writing bores the crap out of me. It's all a matter of taste, though.

Have fun!

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Well, I guess it would depend on your definition of poor writing. As a benchmark, I get distracted reading Harry Potter because I think it's poorly written. Is it better or worse than the writing in Harry Potter?

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    All I care about is when the new George R.R Martin book is coming out....arrrggh

If you like contemporary fantasy, then that's the way to go....

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I only read the first book, and then only watched the movies after that. And I read the book like 5 years ago, so can't help ya.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hear hear!

And I'd like to add the Thomas Covenant books to the "If you like contemporary fantasy, then that's the way to go..." list.

17. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the suggestions.

i haven't read a lot of this type of stuff lately, but i tried to when i was younger (early teenage years).

but it seems i'm obsessed with this book, and since school is starting again, i better not read anymore until christmas break

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I think I remember seeing/hearing an interview with the author. He said he was about 15 when he started writing it, now he's in his early 20s. I've read both books. The first was not a bad effort for a young kid, but it's obvious that his writing has a lot of maturity ahead of it.

In his defense, it's almost impossible to be truly original these days, especially in that particular genre. To paraphrase my last writing teacher, every good idea has been done, and probably more than once. Originality isn't necessary to sell a story anymore -- just ask Robert Jordan. He's written however many number of never-ending-fantasy-novels that are more patchwork than a hobo's coat. Even Asimov put himself on the map as a writer by borrowing, the only difference is that he used a historical topic for his Foundation novels (Galactic Empire = Roman Empire) and he freely admitted it. Art seems to be once again imitating life in that it how you say it matters more than what you say.

19. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for defending the author and the book. glad to see that you've read both and enjoyed them (or you wouldn't have read the 2nd one)

i'm almost done with the first one now

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I wouldn't necessarily say I enjoyed it per se. Like I said, he's got a long row to hoe. Truth be told, I got the second book for the same reason I keep plunking money down on Robert Jordan's crap every couple years -- I hate leaving a story unfinished.

21. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

either way, the author clearly got your attention. anybody that young will have room for improvement.*

and they are making a movie about it, so the kid couldn't have done that bad of a job

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

A theater film or a made-for-TV film?

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They made a movie of the Da Vinci Code; a film is no vindication of good writing ;)

24. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

25. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well apparently people liked the book, or there never would have been a movie. same applies to Eragon.*