Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siobhan98

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
Hello

I sold my old iPod touch today, it was running iOS 7 or iOS 8 I'm not sure which one it was, I erased all content and settings, does erasing all content and settings remove my iCloud, iTunes and app store accounts for me on these versions of iOS?

Thanks

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
if you do erase all content and settings it wipes everything, and removes the device from iCloud.
if you do an erase over the web , it keeps the device on iCloud and no one can register it until you remove it

from a technical standpoint, the erase all content and settings removes the device's decryption keys from a part of the iPhone that is believed to be immune from the effects of wear leveling. this causes all remaining data on the iPhone to stay on the device in a 256 bit encrypted unreadable state.

on android and on the original iPhone and the iPhone 3g you have to wait 2 hours with the power plugged in and wait for it to erase, and then you had to worry about wear leveling making it possible to retrieve your data

they never improved android, so to this day they recommend their users to turn on device encryption or write junk files to their phone and do this multiple times!

Reactions: Siobhan98

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure "erase all content and settings" is functionally a factory reset. If you're selling your device and don't want any remnants of your usage available to the next owner, then you're ready to hand it over to them after having done that.

Reactions: Siobhan98
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.