Erase DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GlynJones, Jul 14, 2005.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I'm trying to erase a DVD-RW disk so that it is UDF compatible but when I use Disk Utility it will not allow me to change the format and always formats it in Mac OS Extended.

If I'm being stupid then I appologies but I've been looking now for an hour to do this but am now stumped.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, If I'm reading this right then after you have put the RW in you then opened disc utility, selected the disc, selected erase from the middle of the window. When erasing an optical drive such as cd/dvd it just makes it blank and shouldn't apply a format to it but yours did?
    When you eject it then put it back in what info comes up or can you get the info to see what it is saying ;)

3. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Artful,
    It was me being stupid. I used Disk Utility to erase then ran Toast to create the DVD. After another search after your post I realised it was how Toast was burning the disk not how the erase had erased the disk :confused:

I found some very good tips on the Internet and found out what I was doing wrong. Toast didn't make it clear. Working fine now.

Thanks for your help. Still getting used to the switch from PC to MAC but I am getting there.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi GlynJones,
    What ver. of Toast are you using? I'm thinking 6.0.9 with what you said but when I got my Toast 6 it came with my burner and so no little book on the changes (one did come with Toast 5 Ti.) so I know what you mean ;) Well enjoy now that it's ready for you.