Erase HardDrive

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Benjamindaines, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    Pardon this being in the wrong spot but it's about PCs so I'll just stick it in here. Is there anything I can download and burn to a disk, then boot my PC from the disc, and use that to erase my hard drive? I know you used to be able to use floppy discs to boot into DOS and then run fdisk, but my PC doesn't have a floppy drive. I have tried Linux (that's actually what I'm trying to get off) but the sudo -rm / doesn't work because it spits out an error saying it can't delete due to it being a directory. Right now I have Linux completely removed except the boot loader. With the boot loader on there I can't boot from my Windows install disk to wipe the hard drive from there. What do you recommend?

ps I typed this fast and haven't proof read it so it might not make total sense so bare with me please.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Technically, it's sudo -rm -rf /.. but I don't think that's going to accomplish what you want.

Why can't you boot from the Windows CD?

I recommend asking on a Windows forum? ;)
  3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    Don't know anything about Linux, but can you not change the boot order in your Bios (maybe disabling the HD as a boot device?), so that it only looks for the CD to boot from, and then do a clean install from your Windows disk?
    Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion.
    And good luck. :)