"Erased" one side of my XRAID volume.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by VideoShooter, Feb 11, 2007.

1. VideoShooter macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2004
    The Setup...
    Xraid @ RAID 50.
    10 drives @ 500 GBs.
    5 on each side.
    3.64 in RAID 50.

The short version: Within Disk Utility I accidentally "erased" one side of my RAID. I essentially did a quick erase on one of the RAID volumes. I now see one side of my Xraid as "untitled" within my drives. The XRAID volume is still visible within Disk Utilities.

The long version....

We were out of space on our Xraid. We use it for video editing, DVD creation, etc. We needed to max it out with four more drives. I rented another Xraid to use as storage during the transfer. I bought four more drives to add to the RAID. I plugged in the rented Xraid and opened Disk Utility. LOTS of partitions showed up. I started clicking and "erase"ing. The third partition I erased was one half of my Xraid configuration. This drive was erased and a new volume showed up as "untitled" on the desktop. My heart beat faster, thoughts of all the hours of video, audio, projects and man hours surged through my head in an instant. I realized what I had done.

So far I've talked to Apple support who says to call DriveSavers.

I've talked to DriveSavers. They quoted between $9K - 86K, depending on turn around time, ease of the fix, etc.

I talked to another company who quoted $3500 - $18,000.

I have Disk Warrior, Norton System Tools, and Tech Tools in house.

I am afraid this is going to either cost a huge amount of money or more than likely, we'll need to opt to rebuild everything from scratch. Either way... This *****.

My fault completely. I know it and I don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working or others who could solve this issue for a lesser price?
  2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2002
    Midnight Sun
    Way beyond my knowledge...

There are a couple of XRaid sites (google) which may be able to help. Also try the same post at www.macgurus.com (several members have XRaids) and they are extremely friendly / knowledgeable.

Good luck...
  3. Davowade macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2006
    Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I do however know how you feel, working as an editor when we lost a FULL 3.65 TB raid.:(
  4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Oh God. We feel your pain.
    With a Quick Erase, the data is still there, just the directory was deleted. You MIGHT have some luck with DW IF is sees a directory and therefore has something to recover. At this point I'd try DW, then Norton. Norton works best if NOTHING else is written to the drive, overwriting things you need.
    If this is data you ABSOLUTELY need and the originals can't be recovered from the various users that created it, then DriveSavers will work... and I'll bet it's on the lower range of cost as this is a simple directory snafu.
    Good luck...not many options for sure.
    PS: When this is resolved, think of a another BU strategy. But you don't need us to tell you that, and ignore those that rag on you. It happens to ALL of us.