Erasing one of the partitions from my external hard drive ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igmolinav, Dec 25, 2006.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hello,

Before I write any further, I would like to wish you the best for 2007 !!!

I have a quick question. I transferred all my jpg to a partition of my hard drive called "fotos". I later realized that I wanted to erase all the items in this partition, some 5,500 items. It seemed an easy task, I selected all the items and brought them to the waste basket.

However, the waste basket wouldn´t accept them, and it would give me the following message:

"Some of the items you are using are in use by another application. Moving the items can cause problems with the application using them. Are you sure you want to move these items??"

And then I press "continue" (not only once, but many times) but it doesn´t erase them.

What can I do ??

Thank you very much.

igmolinav

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

When that happens, I close all the applications that could possibly be using the file and then empty the trash. iPhoto, Preview, etc, etc.

3. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi thank you for your help. I have closed all the applications. The Finder is the only one open, and still the problem persists. What can I do ??? Thank you in advance.

igmolinav

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

In Finder press CMD-OPT-DELETE. If that doesn't work reboot and you should be able to delete them.

5. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your message. Is that command that you mean, "EMPTY THE THRASH" ??? If so, it is blocked. I also rebooted the computer and it didn´t work. What do you suggest me to do???

Thank you very much again ....

Ignacio.

6. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

.... also, if you see my original post, (at the very top), you´ll notice that I mention that i press "continue" many times and nothing really happens. What I also meant to say is that if I have 3,500 jpgs to be erased, the computer expects me to press the "continue" botton 3500 times and that can take a looooooot of time !!!

Thank you very much again,

igmolinav.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Is there a little box you can check that says "apply to all"?

8. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

No don't thrash your computer, that won't help :) The command isn't to delete the trash, but to force delete the trash. If files are locked it will delete them anyways.

Mmm... not when empty the trash. It just says Stop and Continue.