Ergonomic split keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rilina, Dec 4, 2004.

1. rilina macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend a good ergonomic (that is split, and ideally also adjustable) keyboard? I've recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome (still mild, fortunately) and there's only so much I can reduce my computer use given my job and the fact that I'm trying to write a novel in my free time. So I'm looking to improve my set up at home.

What I'd really like is the Comfort Keyboard , but it's a little on the expensive side at $300!

I know there are a lot of the molded-plastic split keyboards out there in the <$100 range, but I've been warned that they don't always work too well for people with small hands (like me).

Advice from others who have dealt with RSI would be particularly appreciated.

2. Col127 macrumors 6502

i puchased a product called touch stream lp by finger works (http://www.fingerworks.com/lp_product.html) in june 2004. it's a zero force keyboard and i just love it. it's a lot easier on the fingers to type since there's no keys to press down but it does take time to learn how to use it.

another interesting keyboard that had caught my eye was the contoured keyboard by kinesis.

ergocanada.com has a lot of interesting products that you can check out and learn about. you have a ton of options.

also, you may want to consider adjusting your workstation at work and/or at home. that plays a huge factor in ergonomics. cornell university (http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/ergoguide.html) has some great literature on things you may be interested in reading.

i hope that helps!

3. ckpg99 macrumors newbie

Adesso Tru-Form MAC USB Keyboard

I've been using the Adess (www.adesso.com) tru-form mac Keyboard for 6 years now- four in college and now two in medschool. So far, I've had no trouble with it and though I don't have carpal tunnel, I do get sore wrists from typing on the laptop and taking notes in class, and typing on this keyboard is much more comfortable than anything else I use. They also have some other options with more multimedia buttens or a trackpad on them, but the basic model is only $80 or so.
    hope this helps
    Chris :)

4. rilina thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions!

The Cornell link is great. My company is on a ergonomics kick these days, and the consultants that it hired are Cornell grads who pointed us to that web site for our questions.

I had been hesitant to use the Adesso, since I'd seen some less than complimentary remarks about it on another forum during the first round of my search for a new keyboard. (I believe the complaint was that it didn't "feel" as nice as some of the other split keyboards on the market.) But I've now seen plugs for it here and in another forum, so I'll have to give it some serious consideration. The price is right, at least.

5. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I don't understand why not?

If that one is the best and the most comfortable for you, why not get it? Sure $300 is a lot of money, but it's still a lot cheaper than having your hands/arms operated on and out of action for a month or two.

Go ahead and splurge, you and your health are worth it :)

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What about voice regonition?

OS X can do basic stuff for you, and there are other programs.....

7. rilina thread starter macrumors newbie

This is actually something that I'm seriously considered, but I think I'd need some capabilities beyond basic stuff for my work at the job and at home. So I did some research, and it doesn't sound like the voice recognition software out there (ViaVoice, etc) is very good. Apparently there's a program for PCs called Dragon NaturallySpeaking that's excellent; one of my friends with very severe RSI relies on it almost entirely. But there's no Mac version yet, so right now I'm concentrating on alternative input devices. (I'm planning on replacing my mouse at home with a pen and tablet setup too.)

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

OS X has built in Voice Commands for you. It takes a lot of getting used to though.

9. Col127 macrumors 6502

there's a program called ilisten for mac os x. i've used it for a while but i gave up on it eventually beause it didn't recognize slang words that i used for typing :p which is totally understandable. you could give that a shot!

but i totally agree with what absolut_mac said. your health is more important than your wallet :) if you can afford it that is!