Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Sounds like a load of BS from Schmidt as usual when Apple is involved.

He is very careful how he words it all. All apps (and updates) submitted to the App Store go under review before they are added, no matter who it comes from. Schmidt puts a spin on this so it sounds like Apple is being bad (fuel for the flames). The fact is there is no evidence that Apple is going to deny this app, but it is to Schmidt's advantage to talk about the submission process in a way that makes it sound like Apple is denying it. It puts pressure on Apple as a competitor, and that's all that matters in business.

I am sure in a week we will see Google Now released on iOS, and it won't be a surprise to anyone, not even Schmidt.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sounds like a load of BS from Schmidt as usual when Apple is involved.

He is very careful how he words it all. All apps (and updates) submitted to the App Store go under review before they are added, no matter who it comes from. Schmidt puts a spin on this so it sounds like Apple is being bad (fuel for the flames). The fact is there is no evidence that Apple is going to deny this app, but it is to Schmidt's advantage to talk about the submission process in a way that makes it sound like Apple is denying it. It puts pressure on Apple as a competitor, and that's all that matters in business.

I am sure in a week we will see Google Now released on iOS, and it won't be a surprise to anyone, not even Schmidt.

No - that's YOUR interpretation. Nothing he said is factually incorrect, misleading or leading. " Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve and some of them they don't."

What's leading about that? Any App developer would say the same thing. And again - how SHOULD he have responded. He didn't bring up the "issue" - it was asked.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
This is the one thing i don't like about apple. They have the right to just not approve an app if they feel it causes competition or as i think apple puts it "confusions" between two competing apps and obviously theirs would win every time.

If they were confident in their products, they would approve every app as long as it passed their actual functionality specifications.

Has there been any app Google submitted that has ever been rejected?

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Agreed! I wish they would never have let google maps onto the platform. Apples Maps will be better if enough people continue to use it.

Good luck. Tons of people have abandoned it and never plan on going back. It's a piece of garbage.

ammonkapow

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Do you have examples where they've actually done this? There are certainly plenty of examples of Apps that compete with Apples that have been approved and are in the App Store. So I guess my real question is, is this a real or imagined "problem"?

Apple does not usually provide a reason for rejecting an app so it's hard to prove it. However, there are a lot of apps that were rejected for no apparent reason like "Voice Answer", a possible Siri competitor

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Apple has a list of guidelines that are pretty straightforward that the rest of us have no problem following. So maybe try reading that and stop sounding like a sniveling, whiny moron.

The issue is if someone else submitted the app it would most likely already be approved. Apple just hides behind the guidelines when it comes to Google.

----------

Has there been any app Google submitted that has ever been rejected?

Google Voice.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
serious question, why are people so paranoid about GPS tracking? I could literally care-a-less

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Larry gets out once and a while off his meds. Someone please call Lary & Sergi and alert them....pronto :)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Well... if Maps was accepted (even though Apple admittedly said their Maps was bad), maybe Now has a chance...

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Apple should take a note from Steve Jobs handbook in 1997. End the silly war with the enemy and move forward.

ammonkapow

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
That wasn't the question that was presented. Just the mere fact the apps are in the store tells me they don't mind competition.

The apps don't have the same access or abilities as Apple. Take web browsers for example. Safari has access to a much faster engine while the rest are forced to use a slower one. It's artificial and anticompetitive.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
While true they don't provide any integration through no fault of their own

For example, I don't believe any GPS app lets you view the map data while the screen is locked, they don't let you use Siri, and I don't believe they show the next available turn (though I could be wrong on this) on the top of the display while you are using another app or on the home screen

You are correct, however the quote, that I was referencing made no reference to this. It was merely based on the fact apple could approve or disapprove if they felt it competed with one of their own apps.

If we are talking full integration then you are correct and I agree with you. They do not allow third party apps to do this yet.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Love or hate google u have to admit this is great for iOS users

Choice

Now apple give us that option to pick default apps!!!

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
I don't know - is Phil going to keep making uninformed and uneducated comments about Android every time a new phone comes out?

What do you expect him to say? He was asked a question. He didn't bring it up.

If phil keeps making stupid comments, he will join schmidt in doucheville.

I expect him to answer the question, or refuse to comment. Deflecting to Apple's approval process, makes me question whether the app has even been submitted yet - judging by his answers, I doubt it. But, at least he can temporarily make it look like it is apple "screwing the pooch", instead of google.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I think I'll pass. I don't want Google's gimmicky spyware on my iPhone.

How do you know what Apple tracks on your phone? With iOS you don't get to see what permission apps are using? I'm pretty sure Bing and other websites track you. If you're on the web you're being tracked in some fashion.

As for Google Now I think it's great and actually helps make a smart phone even smarter because it gives you real time information about your location without you asking for it among other things.

I also expect to see Apple to release their version of it although it'll probably be iOS8 before we see it.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah!

This is what it strikes me as:

Interviewer: When can I get this on my iPhone?

ES: (BIG EYEBROWS) well, NYUK NYUK, oh you kill me kid. Soon. If they agree.
HAHAHAHA! (laughing like an idiot). Did I say that?

Interviewer: Just give me a straight answer.

ES: I can't, really. HA HA HA! (EYEBROWS).

Interviewer: So basically, you're at the mercy of Apple and you thought by leaking a video you could make public opinion force their hand?

ES: HAHAHAHA! YES! HAHAHAHAHA!

Interviewer: I'm leaving.

ES: Don't go! HAHAHAHA!~

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
The issue is if someone else submitted the app it would most likely already be approved. Apple just hides behind the guidelines when it comes to Google.

----------

Google Voice.

So ... was GV reworked and resubmitted? Because it's available now. There are a bunch of Google Apps available so as long as they follow the guidelines, I would imagine they are approved.

For those devs in the crowd (I'm not), does Apple provide feedback on why your app has been rejected (if it is)? I would imagine they have to give you some sort of direction on how to correct (or at least that would make the most sense).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.